British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-22, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Jaywick Sands - got a mention from President Trump when he had a Twitter account didn't it?
Something like that, yes.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...ity-shows/amp/
Old 21-03-22, 09:43 AM

And yet....ask a Ukranian or Syrian refugee if they would care to live in Luton and I'm sure that the response will be uniformly positive. Its all relative
Old 21-03-22, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
And yet....ask a Ukranian or Syrian refugee if they would care to live in Luton and I'm sure that the response will be uniformly positive. Its all relative
Given the choice between Luton or Ukraine right now is rather stating the obvious. Getting stabbed or mugged or burgled in Luton is preferable to being blasted to death by the craziest nut job since Hitler. That doesn't make Luton any less of a shithole.
Old 21-03-22, 03:42 PM

Luton sounds like quite the place. So close to London as well. Perusing google maps and streets, it just does not "look" the part though. I suppose it is many of the residents themselves, not really the physical appearance of the town to a great degree, unlike here in the US wherein the appearance matches the reputation.

CB
Old 21-03-22, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Luton sounds like quite the place. So close to London as well. Perusing google maps and streets, it just does not "look" the part though. I suppose it is many of the residents themselves, not really the physical appearance of the town to a great degree, unlike here in the US wherein the appearance matches the reputation.

CB
CB, you've hit the nail on the head, it is many of the residents themselves. Out of respect for the forum rules I'll go no further.
Old 21-03-22, 07:40 PM

I could show you some lovely choice places in London that would give Luton a run for its money , I’ve worked all over London, Luton and many more places besides, like a lot of places you’ve got lovely areas and then literally just turn down the next street and you’re in a different world altogether

Gerard
Old 21-03-22, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
I could show you some lovely choice places in London that would give Luton a run for its money , I’ve worked all over London, Luton and many more places besides, like a lot of places you’ve got lovely areas and then literally just turn down the next street and you’re in a different world altogether

Gerard
Yes you are, quite literally, in another world. Despite all the media guff Luton is living proof that multiculturalism does not work, simple as that. I speak from experience.
Old 21-03-22, 08:14 PM

I'd would rather visit Jaywick than visit Luton again. I live in an area of Essex that is considered by many to be a s**t hole but I always say 'at least it isn't Basildon' we just have to put up with all their scum and drug dealers coming in at night to wreak their havoc.

I'd rather live here than back in Southend on Sea, or anywhere in Thurrock too. Southend may be a city now but its a run down dump with a corrupt council and absolutely nothing to visit for unless you enjoy sitting in traffic. One thing it does have is one of the highest numbers of speed cameras on a single road (A127) than anywhere else I have ever been.
Old 22-03-22, 12:28 AM

I don't know of the social issues that plague some of these towns, but even Jaywick might look somewhat inviting in the sun.
My initial thoughts on these utoob presentations were that journalistic license or shock value is often being used, whilst the visual depictions themselves seemed not to agree.
At any rate, what with the world it is today and mounting costs of everything, I am not likely to be visiting anywhere.

CB
Old 30-03-22, 01:12 AM

This may give an idea of the comparison that I thought of. Surely, nowhere in the UK is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0Xw2cC_cU

CB
Old 30-03-22, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
This may give an idea of the comparison that I thought of. Surely, nowhere in the UK is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0Xw2cC_cU

CB
At least Detroit could, I suppose, cite abandonment as being the cause of its deterioration, something some areas of London simply could not offer as a defence for being total and utter khasis. And that, in my humble opinion, is attributable purely and simply to the sorts of people inhabiting these places; people with nothing but a sneering disrespect, a foul contempt and a sickening disregard for everything and everyone around them (as opposed to an absence of people, as in Detroit's case).

And it's not getting any better; the pernicious effects are worryingly pervasive and nothing short of terrifying. It saddens me to say that I could take you right now to areas of east London that would shock the bejesus out of you.
Old 30-03-22, 05:12 AM

I am friends with a retired Detroit policeman who walked a beat his entire career. Some of the stories he told me are almost unbelievable! Every city or town is going ot have it "shady" section, but there are some places I truly would not want to live. But I'm a small town boy anyway!

Terry
Old 30-03-22, 08:51 AM

There are two England's. One, the country side and village's, the other are the towns and city's. I have returned to the UK, many times since we left in 1964.The country side has not changed at all, somehow our rented car always pulled into a country pub there's nothing like it in the world. Most of my family still live in the same area they were born in, they moan about the living conditions, congestion on the roads and the weather. If I came from Luton or the equivalent dump, I would make an effort to move my family out of it. Perhaps some of these people who complain that they have lived there all their lives and can't do anything about it, should read Alan Sugars books, you cant feel sorry for people who don't help themselves.
Regards Terry
Old 30-03-22, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
There are two England's. One, the country side and village's, the other are the towns and city's. I have returned to the UK, many times since we left in 1964.The country side has not changed at all, somehow our rented car always pulled into a country pub there's nothing like it in the world. Most of my family still live in the same area they were born in, they moan about the living conditions, congestion on the roads and the weather. If I came from Luton or the equivalent dump, I would make an effort to move my family out of it. Perhaps some of these people who complain that they have lived there all their lives and can't do anything about it, should read Alan Sugars books, you cant feel sorry for people who don't help themselves.
Regards Terry
I'll take that as a dig at me, not the first one either. I don't live in Luton, I live in neighbouring Dunstable which is a reasonable sort of place. In about 1980 I had the opportunity to move to Australia and work for my cousin in his motor parts business but my wife preferred to stay put so that put paid to that. From what I understand Australia is a great place to live but, according to an Aussie acquaintance of mine, the only problem is it's crawling with "Whingeing Poms".
Old 30-03-22, 03:36 PM

Well, I found this video. It is indeed dismal and even approaches some of the worst in the US! I was unaware of such areas in London. But there are people all around.
Graffiti is a world wide disease which I cannot understand. We have no blighted areas in San Francisco such as this and other cities in the US, but graffiti has of late been more visible.
Indeed, the country villages in the UK are beautiful beyond description from what I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qI-sKmvu0Y

CB