British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-06-10, 04:25 AM

Default Calgary Highlanders Para Scarf

Hi all, I've been able to pick up some interesting items this week. First up is a Calgary Highlanders private-purchase scarf made from a camouflage parachute. I'm unsure if this is a WW2 era scarf so I've compared it to a
1960's era camo parachute panel I use to cover my gunshow table. The newer fabric is synthetic and melts when burnt. The Calgary Highlanders scarf burns with an ash so it appears that the scarf is silk rather than synthetic.

I haven't been able to match the pattern to a WW2 parachute, as I've been unable to find a close-up of a WW2 chute. Note the AN mark on the fabric, this is the only mark on the scarf. I suspect that you could buy these from the Sgts. Mess for walking out dress to look jaunty or more probable, just to make the battledress more comfortable around the neck.

The badge appears to be silk-screened on to the silk with yellow and red paint. I used my black light on both types of camouflage and neither one glows

If anyone has some info about camo patterns on parachutes please let me know.

It's not a badge, but still cool.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scarf1.jpg (91.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg scarf2.jpg (24.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg scarf4.jpg (32.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg scarf5.jpg (90.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg scarf6.jpg (90.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 13-06-10, 09:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...flage_patterns

This has a fairly comprehensive list of DPM's Canada has used, as well as other countries. I know about greek parachute scarves, in that they were only worn by the special forces paratroops (anyone else wearing them wuld get a severe "instruction" about why not to wear them, apparently the greek army mp's favoured beating up soliders to get them, but woe betide if they got seen wearing one by the rest of the squad ).

TBH, these scarves early on seemed to be an American thing, and it does ring of the us camo..... so possibly a poached piece of material?

Could it be Garrison leaf pattern?

Tom
Old 13-06-10, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
[url]

Could it be Garrison leaf pattern?
No, it's definitely not the garrison leaf pattern.
Old 13-06-10, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
No, it's definitely not the garrison leaf pattern.
Cool, could only find descriptions online, no pics...

Tom
Old 13-06-10, 07:50 PM

Just a bit of info that may or may not be relevant. There were members of The Calgary Highlanders in the First Special Service Force, a mixed Canada/US unit in which all members were jumpers.
Wyn
Old 13-06-10, 08:06 PM

Just looked it is very similar to this: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-material-camo

US parachute silk camouflage pattern.... this one is 50s era but could have been used earlier....

Tom
Old 14-06-10, 05:40 PM

Thanks Wyn and Tom, it would be great if the scarf was somehow related to the 1st SSF but no history came with this scarf. One would assume that other examples exist with other Canadian regimental badges on them. This is the first I've ever seen with a Canadian connection (it's also the first I've ever seen period).

I took a look through Ken Joyce's book "Into the Maelstrom" to see if there are any pictures of cammo scarfs being worn and unfortunately there are none. I know Ken is writing a similar book on the 1st Special Service Force so I'll drop him an email and see what his thoughts are.

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 15-06-10 at 02:25 AM.
Old 16-06-10, 02:54 AM

Default Calgary Highlanders Cravat

I think what you have is a cravat from the 1970s or the early 1980s when this item of dress was in vogue with the CF. The wear an issue of these cravats was very much the call of the various branches and regiments and this item could well have been unit procured to wear with combats. I have looked through a couple of references on the 1SSF and I have yet to find a photograph of a Forceman wearing a cravat in WWII.

As well, I have attached images of the following pieces of camouflage: a WWII US Mosquito Net, a 1960s Parachute and the 1990s Canadian Garrison Dress. Note that your camouflage does not seem to match any of these patterns.

Old 16-06-10, 02:49 PM

Thanks Ed, you may be right. The badge is a King's crown type rather than a Queen's crown type. As there is no history with this scarf we may never know.

I have the 20th and 25th anniversary issues of the Maroon Beret, in the 20 anniversay edition there is a nice picture of Lt Col. G Fraser Eadie in 1945 wearing a cammo scarf with a similar pattern. Post war COs are wearing a snipers veil as cravats.

Greg
Old 16-06-10, 03:57 PM

Default Cravat

Can you send a scan of the Lt Col. G Fraser Eadie photo?

I own a couple of the WWII Face Veils and they are camouflaged an open knit so you would not be able to screen print a badge very well on one.

The screen printed KC badge is interesting although the trouble is you never know when or where they came from. It could well be a one-shot effort made up in the 1960s be a WWII Vet to wear with a smoking jacket.
Old 16-06-10, 07:57 PM

Hi Ed, attached is a scan of the picture of Lt Col Eadie. This is from the 20th Anniversary edition of "The Maroon Beret", published by the Canadian Airborne Regiment in 1988. The same picture appears in the 25th anniversary edition. The original is probably at the Airborne Museum.

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (61.0 KB, 19 views)

Tags
calgary highlanders, camouflage, parachute