British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-10, 04:05 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Postage

Did you see the postage on this. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 14-03-10, 04:18 PM

You are starting to see this more often as ebay seems to think they can get a kickback from Canada Post or something... trying to force the seller to have written confirmation of delivery and provide deluxe express postservice makes no sense on $2-$3_$4 items... where cost of mailing should be $1-$2 it is coming in at $16... makes no sense
Old 14-03-10, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

And all of that postage to buy a repro.
Old 15-03-10, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
And all of that postage to buy a repro.
And not even a good one at that.... yikes, that is one fugly patch...
Old 15-03-10, 10:42 AM

Xpresspost should "only" cost about half that amount... in the past I have seen many instances of low purchase price / outrageous S&H cost - keeps seller's listing costs and e-bay final value fees down! (I think e-bay has long since cottoned on to this and has cracked down on it)

Cheers, Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 15-03-10 at 02:51 PM.
Old 17-03-10, 11:18 AM

Exclamation Postage problems - beware

Folks,
Just to add a new dimension to this thread, my young brother Kiwisapper sent me some badges to get repaired recently. We were both getting a bit concerned at the time taken, especially as he had done all the right things ie - insurance, recorded delivery and customs declaration.
What really hacked me off was when I got a letter from HM Revenue and Customs yesterday saying the package had been impounded and they wanted £63-65 for it's release.
The letter gave a phone number and an email address to contact HMRC. Sounds fair enough. I have tried the phone number about 30 times over the last 24 hours, and it is permanently engaged. I sent an email, only to get an automated response telling me that the email service is suspended, and to ring the same number. Between us we have decided that it's not worth the trouble, and the package can go back to New Zealand.
I'm quite annoyed by the whole episode, and find it amazing that HMRC don't even have an automated answering service on their phone line, but then again, it seems to be geared so that the only option is to pay the money. I don't even know how they calculate that amount. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Beware all.

John
Old 17-03-10, 05:08 PM

How was the Customs Label CN22 made out? as that is what HMRC base thier calculations on. Was it ticked as Gift or Sample?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 17-03-10, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
How was the Customs Label CN22 made out? as that is what HMRC base thier calculations on. Was it ticked as Gift or Sample?
No idea,
I never saw it. More annoyed that I could never get through on any of the means apart from in writing that were given in the letter.
John
Old 17-03-10, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
You are starting to see this more often as ebay seems to think they can get a kickback from Canada Post or something... trying to force the seller to have written confirmation of delivery and provide deluxe express postservice makes no sense on $2-$3_$4 items... where cost of mailing should be $1-$2 it is coming in at $16... makes no sense
Just put in a UK address and it is quoting C$74, 3 day delivery but no alternatives or other options! Wow, i should have gone into the postal service!!!!
Old 17-03-10, 06:26 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
No idea,
I never saw it. More annoyed that I could never get through on any of the means apart from in writing that were given in the letter.
John
Hello John,

I'm a great believer in security but with modern technology and old fashioned common sense, I'm sure anyone with their head screwed on could have worked out what was actually in the packet ( if that was the problem ), in my own opinion of course, no doubt the word ' jobsworth ' never entered your head for a minute ??

Dave.
Old 17-03-10, 11:39 PM

I always look at the postage and if its way out of line I just look at the next item so they are losing out on bids. Cheers Brian