British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-22, 08:28 PM

Default Cloth badge collecting

I am currently sorting out my cloth formation signs and would value members opinions on whether to keep a pair, non matching or whether just to keep one.

I know some are matching pairs which I keep as a pair, but in the past I have only kept one.

Your thoughts appreciated

Thanks for looking Rob
Old 21-07-22, 08:33 PM

If I can get a pair fine, but not something necessary for me, as I am just as happy with one. That is unless it is for a specific display. A single also allows me to get other bits I want and also due to limited display space I can show more rather than keep them in boxes. All that said, I don't like to break up a pair that I know came from/worn by the same person, that makes a big difference to me.

Hope this helps in some way,

Terry
Old 21-07-22, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

For my accumulation, a single example is the primary requirement, unless there are distinctive left/rights pairs. Some titles and patches are so difficult to acquire that seeking a pair just to display as a pair made it prohibitive.
Like Terry says, provenance also makes a difference. IF the material is attributable I keep it together.
Old 22-07-22, 09:14 PM

Default Cloth badges in pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
If I can get a pair fine, but not something necessary for me, as I am just as happy with one. That is unless it is for a specific display. A single also allows me to get other bits I want and also due to limited display space I can show more rather than keep them in boxes. All that said, I don't like to break up a pair that I know came from/worn by the same person, that makes a big difference to me.

Hope this helps in some way,

Terry
My sentiments entirely . . !

Thanks Terry and Bill

Rob
Old 22-07-22, 09:27 PM

Likewise if a formation sign has a different facing aspect I would like both, better still if a matching pair.

I apply the same guidance to my RAOC Collar Badges in order of Priority.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 22-07-22, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Likewise if a formation sign has a different facing aspect I would like both, better still if a matching pair.

I apply the same guidance to my RAOC Collar Badges in order of Priority.
Collar badges I try to treat the same, space sometimes becomes a problem!

Rob
Old 23-07-22, 01:45 AM

Rob, I am the same way about collars. If named I'd really like he pair, but if not I can be and am happy with a single in most situations.

Terry
Old 23-07-22, 09:26 AM

Rob,

If they came in pairs, I prefer to collect pairs, but it is not a deal breaker for me and allows me to keep an eye out to make the pair, though it is not an overriding factor. This applies to collars as well (as Mike mentioned) not just cloth.

Jerry
Old 23-07-22, 09:42 AM

Default Cloth badges in pairs

In the past I have broken pairs of shoulder titles up and exchanged one, "COMMANDO SIGNALS" is one that comes to mind which I swapped with the late Brian Arbery who some may remember as a badge collector with a fine collection, this along with a well worn printed "SOMERSET" for some colonial badges, this was over forty years ago.

I have recently replaced the "SOMERSET", but the other would be very expensive to replace.

Thanks for your thoughts, I will look before I leap into breaking up pairs . . !

Rob