British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-14, 11:02 PM

As I said, the gold wire "OR version"snuck into use some time ago ( IIRC late 2003 early 2004) when the company contracted to produce them decided that they would also make both an Officer and an OR variant of the badge. They were shipped directly to the CFMS kit shop in Borden and the the kit shop operator immediately started flogging them at $12.50 a pop, and it was several months later before anyone in the HQ in Ottawa was made aware of the screw up. The big heads who then occupied offices on the carpeted hallway turned a blind eye unauthorized badge as they felt that there were much bigger fish to fry... The same attitude existed in the branch when I returned to the fold in 2006, and I wasn't about to make that the hill that I was to die upon. Now you know the rest of the story...
Old 05-08-17, 01:39 AM

I had, lost track of this thread until recently, and as I am again try to get a proper record of what I own this is great information.

Chris
Old 03-05-18, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
This is a distinction that I was not aware existed. I will have to pay more attention to the Med Branch badges.
Here is the "gold standard": the CAF Dress Manual:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-.../index-eng.asp

A silvered Staff of Aesculapius / snake has always been restricted to officer badges in the CAMC/RCAMC and the CFMS/RCMS. CWO's have also been accorded this privilege in the Unified CF.
Old 14-08-18, 09:38 PM

Default Medical branch badges

Digging through some long stored boxes in the basement, I came across a container that had a bunch of insignia that I wore or gathered while serving. The differences in the cap badges may be of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medical branch badges.jpg (42.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 15-08-18, 03:50 PM

There are both silver snake and gold snake cloth versions available in the CAF system. Both mylar (j-metallic). Both pictures from the current CAF badge catalogue.

Last edited by ddaydodger; 15-08-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 15-08-18, 07:22 PM

Seen. The issued mylar embroidered badges (silver snake) in my above photo were ones that were likely issued to me in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I never used them, in fact do not remember being issued them. When I was in the ranks the only issued Medical Branch cap badge was the metal and enamel with the gold snake. The two in the picture were the ones that I wore before being commissioned (mid 1980s) after which only used privately purchased gold wire embroidered.