British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-20, 11:38 PM

Default ANZAC Nursing Badges/Pins

I am a big fan of the miniseries "ANZAC Girls", and have been trying to figure out what pins they are wearing toward the end of the series.

At first it is only the Australian nurses who have one, and later the NZ nurse gets a NZ pin. But they never show them up close and I can't find anything on line to help me determine what they are.

The Australian one appears round and the NZ one I think is more square. Does anybody know what these pins might be? Are they real or just made up for the series? How hard are they to find?

Sorry I can't post a picture as I tried to find them on line, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 09-07-20, 02:55 AM

A post thought. They wore the pins I am asking abut on the scarlet capes. The Australian nurses on the left side and the NZ nurse on the right side.

Terry
Old 09-07-20, 04:02 AM

As not have seen the series I dont know mate but if I may ask who gave out the pins/badges ??

Rob
Old 09-07-20, 04:19 AM

Rob, They don't say in the series, they just suddenly appear in one of the later episodes. One of the wounded NZ soldiers asks a NZ nurse why she doesn't have a pin like the other nurses, and she says because I a New Zealander. Then he says why don't you have one of the NZ pins then. (or basically to that effect) And, shortly after she obtains one.

I highly recommend the series as it is excellent. And even more so as the story line is taken from personal accounts and they show the real nurses at the end of the last episode. I've already watched it twice and may go for a third shortly it is that good. Certainly makes you appreciate what the nurses had to put up with and do.

Terry
Old 09-07-20, 06:11 AM

Here is a nurses red cape, it is Australian, it has a badge on the right side of the cape.
I cannot make out the writing, but the red cross is prominent.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9478640-4x3-xlarge.jpg (25.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-07-20, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
Here is a nurses red cape, it is Australian, it has a badge on the right side of the cape.
I cannot make out the writing, but the red cross is prominent.

Phil.
Here is one from the collection .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7512.jpg (79.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-07-20, 08:26 AM

Thanks gentlemen! That's a good place to start.

Terry
Old 09-07-20, 07:48 PM

Hi

A very good site for the NZ Army Nursing Service is www.nzans.org/NZANS History/NZANSHistory-1915-1922.html

The badge the NZ nurses wore during WW1.
Cheers

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 5.42.00 am.jpg (62.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-07-20, 11:07 PM

John, That's excellent!!! Thank you!!! And the web site is equally as helpful!!!

Terry
Old 10-07-20, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Hi

A very good site for the NZ Army Nursing Service is www.nzans.org/NZANS History/NZANSHistory-1915-1922.html

The badge the NZ nurses wore during WW1.
Cheers

John
Here is a N.Z.R.N badge worn by a NZ nurse who joined the Australian nurses and was at Mudros Lemnos , her Trio group and associated badges .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7513.jpg (103.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-07-20, 03:10 PM

John, What a truly lovely grouping!!! Thank you very much for sharing.

Terry
Old 10-07-20, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
John, What a truly lovely grouping!!! Thank you very much for sharing.

Terry
Thanks Terry

Rob
Old 10-07-20, 11:25 PM

Rob,

Any idea where she might have worn the larger Red Cross? Front of her apron maybe?

Terry
Old 11-07-20, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Rob,

Any idea where she might have worn the larger Red Cross? Front of her apron maybe?

Terry
Not sure as that was with the group , but I think it is of WW2 vintage but I could be wrong, as the nurse of WW1 was paid an allowance so they put together there own uniform there was no official issue in the day.
Old 11-07-20, 02:17 AM

I posted this years ago on a NZ Military forum, but it may be of interest as it explains the origins of the NZANS badge.-

After the outbreak of WW1 the NZ Government offered the British Government a quota of 50 Nurses for service in Egypt or wherever the NZ troops may be stationed.
Nursing volunteers were requested to submit their names to their local area nursing association. These would be narrowed down to approx 15 names (for each of the regional areas) which were to be forwarded to Miss H. Maclean, matron in chief of the Defence department, Wellington.
Miss Maclean narrowed these names to the 50 that would make up the quota.

Interesting, the NZANS was slow to receive official sanction due to a technical defect in the Defence Act, which, according to the decision of the Crown Law Officers, made no provision for women. An amendment to the Act was required to enable the corps to be put on a proper footing, and thus bring NZ into line with the system in the Commonwealth.

It is worth mentioning when the NZANS was being formed, a design and specimen of a new badge for the corps was forwarded to the Minister of Defence the Hon J Allen.
The Minister of Defence decided to put this badge aside and made a public request (20th February 1915) of the NZ public who feel so inclined to send in designs in order that the badge shall be of a distinctly NZ character, representing the best that New Zealanders can do in that particular line.
“These nurses, he pointed out, are the beginning of a formation of a New Zealand Army Nursing Service, and it would be only fitting that the badge they wear should be a design selected as the outcome of competition among New Zealanders.”

The criteria for the competition was –
It must not be larger than a florin, must have on it the letters NZANS, may be in silver or some other metal, and must not exceed in cost 5s or £25 a hundred. Suggested designs must reach Miss Maclean, Matron-in-Chief of the New Zealand Army Nursing Service, Health Department, Wellington, not later than 1st March.

143 designs were sent in, these were inturn submitted to a board consisting of Mr A. D. Riley, Mrs S. Hannah and Mrs E. M. Kendall, who forwarded a final four designs to the Minister of Defence the Hon. J. Allen for final selection.
The 4 designs were from –
Mr T. W. Clayton of the Valuation Department.
Mr Frank Grady, Jeweller, Wellington.
Mr Laurenson for Messrs. White, Jewellers.
Mr Eric Reeves, Wellington.
The Draughtsman of the Defence Department, which incorporated features from the designs submitted, did the final design. It is said that the final design was very similar to one submitted by Mr S. S. Stubberfield of Christchurch.

Tenders were then asked to be submitted for the manufacturing of the first 60 badges.
The Defence Department accepted the tender from Mr C. M. Bay of Willis Street.

The following is a description taken at the first award ceremony of the badge (7th April 1915) –
“Surmounted by the Royal Arms, the badge is bordered with a fern leaf in silver, and inside that portion of the design is the Red Cross, with the lettering N.Z.A.N.S. underneath in silver on a blue enamel ground. "That will show where we come from," said one of the nurses, "and it will also let anyone know who we are in case of accident, because each one bears an identification number.”
The nurses wore their uniforms of grey with red collars and piping on the overcoats, and a row of brass buttons down the front of the upper garment, the red and grey shoulder straps adding a military touch. Those present at the ceremony included the Right Hon. W. F. and Mrs. Massey the Hon. J. Allen (Minister of Defence), the Hon. R. H. Rhodes (Minister of Public Health), Mrs. H. D. Bell, and Mrs. F. M. B. Fisher. Miss Maclean, matron in charge of the contingent, called up the nurses one by one, and they were invested with the insignia of Dominion nursing royalty by Mrs. Massey and the Hon. J. Allen. At the conclusion of that part of the ceremony, Mr. Massey said he desired to express the appreciation, not only of the Government, but of the people of New Zealand as a whole, of the fact that those present had offered their services to the Empire and to the country to which they belonged in the very serious crisis through which we are passing. He was quite certain that their services would be thoroughly appreciated by our men at the front — those who are there now and those who may go there in future. He desired to compliment them particularly on their healthy and sturdy appearance, as far as looks went and in every other respect he was quite certain they would be a credit to New Zealand. He could only wish them a pleasant voyage and a safe return.”