British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-14, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RCAF returns to traditional ranks

Not sure if this has been discussed, as the changes to the army rank system has. The Royal Canadian Air Force is also returning to the traditional pre-unification rank structure. https://www.facebook.com/rcaf1924/ph...type=1&theater
Old 21-09-14, 07:39 PM

Default Traditional RCAF Ranks

There have been rumours circulating about this change taking place, I have not seen an official message announcing this yet.

As well, apparently there are plans for the Army to revert from rifle green DEUs to khaki.
Old 21-09-14, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Return to a khaki coloured uniform brings it full circle.
If that change materializes, I wonder if CF kit will become collectable? A lot of it around, but there were some trial/experimental bits that are already hard to find.
Old 21-09-14, 11:33 PM

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/new-royal-c...iled-1.2017526

Quote:
The Royal Canadian Air Force unveiled its new uniform Sunday, a move that's supposed to bring the force closer to its distinguished history and traditions.

The new uniform, complete with small changes including the move from gold to pearl-grey buttons and details, was launched at the annual Battle of Britain ceremony at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum

Read more: http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/new-royal-c...#ixzz3Dzp3VeS4

Great news as far as I am concerned. The yellow badges were not nearly as attractive as the pearl-grey will be.

Quote:
One rank will be changing, despite initial reports the RCAF would return to British-style ranks. Privates will now be known as Aviators, a gender-neutral term that will be identified by a single stich propeller. One RCAF official told CTV News that changing all the ranks would be too complicated and confusing.
Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Last edited by Michael Dorosh; 22-09-14 at 12:57 AM.
Old 21-09-14, 11:38 PM

Here is the CF Backgrounder:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=886249

Quote:
New Uniform for the Royal Canadian Air Force

The Royal Canadian Air Force’s (RCAF) new uniform respects the contributions and sacrifices of airmen and airwomen who served – and continue to serve – with pride and professionalism.

Main aspects of the new uniform are drawn from pre-unification rank insignia maintaining the modern elements and terminology familiar to serving members. The insignia for most ranks will be recognizable as the symbols that air force personnel have worn for nearly half a century.

Rank names, with the exception of “Private,” will remain the same.

The RCAF’s shoulder titles and uniform buttons will also be updated to harmonize with the new rank insignia.

RCAF Organizational Structure

There will be no changes to RCAF organizational structures or the names of subordinate headquarters and organizations.

Non-Commissioned Members

The rank names and insignia for non-commissioned members will remain the same, with the exception of “Private.” The Canadian maple leaf, which air force personnel have worn with pride for 46 years, will continue to be displayed on the rank insignia of Master Corporals, Sergeants, and general officers, and Chief Warrant Officers’ insignia will continue to display the Canadian coat of arms.

The rank insignia will now be pearl-grey, similar to the historic colour of non-commissioned members’ rank insignia.

Only one rank name will change: “Private” will become “Aviator.” This new, gender-neutral rank, which is almost identical in both official languages, reflects the historical French rank of aviateur (aviator) which in English was aircraftman or aircraftwoman. The rank insignia for “Aviator” will be a pearl-grey propeller worn on the uniform sleeve, which is a return to the historical insignia for this rank.
Officers and General Officers

All officers will retain current rank names, similar to the ranks used in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War.

Officers rank insignia colour will be pearl-grey – the same historic colour as the non-commissioned members’ rank insignia. In the past, the officers wore blue rank insignia and the non-commissioned members wore pearl-grey; the change reflects the RCAF’s emphasis on one team – one mission.

In the pre-unification era, RCAF general officers only wore rank insignia on their tunic sleeves, not on their shoulders. The new design will retain the insignia currently embroidered on tunic shoulder straps/shoulder slip-ons and display the Canadian maple leaf.

The design of the general officers’ sleeve insignia, located near the cuff of the tunic, will be modified to echo the design of the historical sleeve insignia for general officers and will be edged in black, similar to the historical sleeve insignia.

The gold piping (embroidery) on the general officers’ wedge cap will be replaced with pearl-grey piping.

National Badges

The new insignia will also include colour harmonization of national badges to be worn at the top of the tunic sleeve. These curved badges will comprise the RCAF’s eagle and the word “CANADA” for non-commissioned members and the word “CANADA” for officers and Chief Warrant Officers. The style will be similar to the modern national badges, but will be created in the new pearl-grey colour. The word CANADA which appears on dress shirt slip-ons and on certain garments such as topcoats will also be embroidered in pearl-grey.

Buttons

To match the new pearl-grey rank insignia, the RCAF will also receive new silver-coloured buttons. The design will be unchanged from the current button design and include the Crown, RCAF eagle and the word “CANADA.”

Royal Canadian Air Force Badge

The badge of the RCAF, which recalls the pre-unification RCAF badge showing an eagle with its wings outstretched, was created following the restoration of the historical name “Royal Canadian Air Force” in 2012. This will remain unchanged as the official badge of the RCAF.

The motto will remain “Sic Itur Ad Astra” – Such is the pathway to the stars – which has been the air force’s motto since 1975. This is the motto adopted by the very first Canadian Air Force, which was first established in 1920.

Conclusion

The melding of elements of both historical and modern rank insignia and terminology strengthens the RCAF’s links to its history and heritage while honouring all those who have served throughout the Royal Canadian Air Force’s history.
Old 21-09-14, 11:56 PM

So, just to be clear, the colour of the uniform stays the same and not blue-grey like the old one? And ranks with not be Squadron leader instead of Major etc?
David
Old 22-09-14, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
So, just to be clear, the colour of the uniform stays the same and not blue-grey like the old one? And ranks with not be Squadron leader instead of Major etc?
David
Based on what I can find, I believe you have it exactly correct. The rationale for the rank titles is that the Royal Flying Corps used "army" ranks (i.e. Lieutenant, Captain, Major) etc. It may be a bit of a stretch, but even if so, I like it. They can introduce the historic insignia (i.e. blue rank stripes with dark edging) in the current configurations and utilize the current titles. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Old 22-09-14, 02:35 PM

I have soldiers that can't get boots, underware, t-shirts, mukluks, and other fundamental kit and clothing but there is money for new rank and uniforms and tailoring for it all. What a waste!
Old 22-09-14, 03:55 PM

........yeah.... but harpo will be so proud of his troops in their brand new uniforms......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 22-09-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 22-09-14, 04:50 PM

The articles that I have read all refer to a "new uniform" but is it a new uniform or has the RCAF just re-badged the existing uniform?
As well, the RCAF can say that they are retaining the existing officer rank names as a tie to the First World War but I believe that it is quite obvious that they couldn't go back to the traditional RCAF officer ranks as the command ranks have been inflated with time. Squadron Leaders wouldn't lead modern Squadrons, Wing Commanders would. Wing Commanders wouldn't command Wings, Group Captains would etc.
Old 22-09-14, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
I have soldiers that can't get boots, underware, t-shirts, mukluks, and other fundamental kit and clothing but there is money for new rank and uniforms and tailoring for it all. What a waste!
You might get underwear if when you indent for it you spell it correctly :-)
Old 22-09-14, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
You might get underwear if when you indent for it you spell it correctly :-)
He was obviously paying tribute to Cameron Ware, a legend in regimental circles.

Or perhaps the Conservatives have stolen his dictionary too.

Interestingly enough, I've been in the reserves 27 years and have never in my life worn "issue underwear." Given a choice, I'm fine with buying my own, and consider the boxers I was given dreadful. They sit in pristine condition in a box under my stairs, having made four different residential moves over the course of my career.

You know, the CF should really stop wasting money on underwear, come to think of it.
Old 22-09-14, 08:41 PM

Does anyone of you guys know if there will be a change in the pilot wing badge in accordance with this?

Thanks.
Old 22-09-14, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Hussar View Post
The articles that I have read all refer to a "new uniform" but is it a new uniform or has the RCAF just re-badged the existing uniform?
As well, the RCAF can say that they are retaining the existing officer rank names as a tie to the First World War but I believe that it is quite obvious that they couldn't go back to the traditional RCAF officer ranks as the command ranks have been inflated with time. Squadron Leaders wouldn't lead modern Squadrons, Wing Commanders would. Wing Commanders wouldn't command Wings, Group Captains would etc.
I believe that Wing Commanders commanded squadrons. A bit like the navy. A Commander would be the captain of a ship (depending on the size of the ship).

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 23-09-14, 06:28 PM

Maybe the RCAF and RCN should go back to their traditional tan summer service dress uniforms. The army can then follow suit and return to a traditional summer dress uniform as well to replace the greens. To save costs the three services could adopt the same tan uniform, as they were almost identical prior to unification anyway.