British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-09, 01:33 PM

Default Modified Can Para Officer's Collars.

While checking for some items on the "infamous auction site", I happened to see an offer for a 1st Can para bn. officer's cap and collars group. OK, not seen too often, price....well......but after reading the description I went and checked the back of the modified collars. I'm directing you to check those.....interesting I think.

As always,I DO NOT HAVE ANY CONNECTION WITH THIS INDIVIDUAL.
Jo
http://cgi.ebay.com/1st-Canadian-Par...1%7C240%3A1318

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-02-09, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Jo, There is a similar pair (the same pair?) illustrated in Ken Joyce's Into the Maelstrom page 80. He comments that the set in his book were known to be done for officers, but they were also done as broaches for sweetheart pins.
Old 23-02-09, 03:24 PM

Default Same Pair

Those collars are the same pair...having moved from my collection into the hands of the current owner who is now trying to resell them.

Dwayne
Old 23-02-09, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Dwayne, I thought that they might be, but was not aware you had moved them.
Old 23-02-09, 03:36 PM

'morning gents. I haven't seen too many of those around (meaning off. collars), that's why I found them interesting. An informal question. Why haven't we seen more, either in collection or on the market???
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 23-02-09, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Two reasons that I can think of at the moment. 1. Officer's collars were for osd uniform, and not all the officer's bought or wore that order of dress. 2. Collars were private purchase, and not all the officers bought them.
Old 23-02-09, 04:27 PM

Although this is a very beautiful set, I would just love to own....little out of my price range at the moment. Having said this, I have to wonder why the set is still available? I see nothing wrong with this set all.

The usual disclaimer:::: I see nothing, I hear nothing, I KNOW nothing... oh wait that was Sgt. Shultz' disclaimer.

Here is mine:
I have no connetion to either the seller or the Auction. Merely stating my opinion.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 23-02-09, 04:32 PM

Thanks Bill, that clarify the subject.
Cheer
Jo

Old 23-02-09, 07:12 PM

Default cap bage question

The back of the officer's cap badge offered shows detailed stamping. My officer's badge is Scully marked, but has a heavy, flat-backed brass (i.e. no detail to the reverse whatsoever) base piece. I've seen pix of other WW2 officer's badges which vary only in some having lugs, others having screw posts, but all flat backed. I know one or two other folks on this forum have officers Can Paras badges as well, but has anyone seen a detailed stamping on the reverse like this before?

Seems odd that a second stamping variety exists, esp. if as the vendor says, there were "less than 100 officers during WW2". Is this badge late war or possibly even post-war, and can anyone date it given the obvious differences to the reverse?
Old 23-02-09, 09:12 PM

I have an officers 1 Can Para cap with detailed stamping on the reverse however it has no Scully makers mark. It has been examined by many knowledgeable collectors who have all said it is 'authentic'. I was speaking with Lou Grimshaw about it this past weekend (variations in badge lots with respect to lug placement and markings) and there isn't always rhyme or reason. I agree that with a badge of lower production quantities such as this you would expect less variation.