British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-16, 01:11 PM

Default 14/20

Hi all I have put my site up to view by all and I have always asked for comments Mike H has his suspicion about my gold hawks could some one please put this to bed by confirming them one way or another if they are fake as any one I a real one for sale many thanks chris
Old 15-04-16, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cunniffe View Post
Hi all I have put my site up to view by all and I have always asked for comments Mike H has his suspicion about my gold hawks could some one please put this to bed by confirming them one way or another if they are fake as any one I a real one for sale many thanks chris
Personally I do not see anything wrong with the marked gold one. Although they would have been worn as; Gold, Gold painted black then made black.

Marc
Old 15-04-16, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cunniffe View Post
The unmarked ones Chris, of which you have noted as "possible fake" . I recall that this was aired a while back . A comparison between the Smith and Wright gold hawk, which the majority agree is the original 14th /20th gold anodised badge and the other gold one which ,if I recall correctly Chris thought was possibly of London Badge and Button manufacture.
Old 17-04-16, 02:36 PM

Default left facing 'Hawk'

Ok Chaps,

I've had a look at mine and I can confirm that it is most definitely not the same die as the 6th Gurkha arm badge - completely different. Its made gold with black areas painted. Its marked Firmin London on the slider and for all intents and purposes is absolutely fine. Its an odd one for sure and has wear on the front as is often seen on these badges on the parts of the relief that stand proud 9chest of the Hawk, .

I also have the correct right facing versions made black in:-

LB&B
Dowler Birmingham
JR Gaunt Bham.

Made all gold (earlier):-

Smith and wright
JR Gaunt Bham
Firmin London
Dowler Birmingham
Blank slider - although the die is ident to the S&W die with a Firmin looking unmarked slider.

(all of these can be found with the Hawk painted black to comply with the later instruction.)

My notes show:-
gold 1964 - 1969
black and gold 1969 - 1979
cloth beret badge 1979 - 1984
I would imagine that the black and gold was worn on the service cap from 1969 onwards.

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

I personally wouldn't worry too much about unmarked sliders - I have loads on all types of regiments and corps and there is nothing apparently fake or copied about them. There could be all manner of reasons as to why they are not marked - and I certainly wouldn't jump to the 'fake' conclusion straight away.

If you think about it - anodised badges are very difficult to copy effectively and I would imagine expensive. If these were metal or brass it would be different.

My opinions only gents.

Regards all

bESS
Old 20-04-16, 09:26 AM

Default For comparison

Here are the Officers Collars. You should be able to see a position mark for fitting the shank on the rear of the left (as viewing) one.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 19-05-16, 08:44 PM

Default 14/20H Sealed Standard Pattern

Sealed Standard Pattern 14/20H
Pattern No 19911 NSN 8455-99-127-9974
Badge Organization Cap Anodised Aluminium: Black/Gold
14th/20th Kings Hussars
Sealed 10 May 68

Maker marked J.R.GAUNT B'HAM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP (4).jpg (43.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SP (7).jpg (35.5 KB, 17 views)