British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-13, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Another "C" for you to consider....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANCHESTER...item5654f5468e

I was told a slightly different story about the City of London Police star and crown helmet badge. A friend of mine is a COLP collector and the story he has, is that the badge was worn for one day only and that was for the funeral of King George VI and that the Home Office wanted the Police to all look alike. The badge was then handed back in.

This is only what he was told of course so it could be wrong, but he does have a fine example of this rare badge.
I think this might give the answer about the the Kings Crown helmet plate (go to helmets and badges and scroll down to Fig 11).

Andy

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=pol...ripod%2Ecom%2F
Old 10-04-13, 04:03 PM

Individual brass "C"s it appears were also used in WW1 Officer Cadet Battalion titles.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C.jpg (82.9 KB, 7 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-04-13, 01:24 PM

Default CLB Cadet Officers

Have got a photo showing the C on the lapel of the CLB Officers. The photo is from 1919. The Officers are wearing the KRR shoulder title and the C on the lapel. Bet you didn't realise Adolf was in the Church Lads Brigade? LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clbcadets.jpg (48.3 KB, 53 views)
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 11-04-13, 04:48 PM

Conijoni,

Many thanks, that is exactly what I have been hoping someone might be able to show.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-06-13, 05:45 AM

Every now and again E bay provides a great bit of information.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kings-Regi...tem48561f5562&

( The link was originally to a post card being sold which was of a school Cadet Corps with the officers wearing Kings Liverpool badges and "C"s on their collars - the link no longer works )

P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 14-10-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 14-10-13, 01:14 AM

PB, don't know whether this is helpful? In my younger days I was part of King Edward VI Grammar School Chelmsford CCF, which has a Corps of Drums. This was affiliated to and had permission to wear the uniform of the Essex Regiment. As part of this we wore a C/Essex two part title on the shoulder. I have an old photo, scan quality is not the best but does show this being worn, also a close up. This is c. 1984. The C were two lug versions in brass.

I also found a more recent picture on the web, again not crystal clear but the C/Essex can be seen there: http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Ch...#axzz2hecWnwNs

Now being CCF and a voluntary CoD I have no idea whether there were dress regs to officially support this, but it was certainly worn!

I'm not owning up to which one is me in the photo either :-)

Regards

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corps of drums.jpg (70.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Corps of drums shoulder.jpg (76.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 14-10-13, 07:07 AM

Michael,

That is great ,many thanks for the information and pictures, amazing what information the Forum produces.

I recall that a well known member of the Military Historical Society Keith Hook advertised in the MHS`s Bulletin many years ago asking if members had any Essex Regiment insignia they were prepared to donate to help equip an Essex ACF band.

Thanks again

Peter

Old 14-10-13, 09:08 AM

Hi Peter,

I have been very fortunate to know Keith for many a year and he has helped me enormously in developing my own knowledge and collection. I'm sure his request related to that, he regularly tracked down items of uniform and badges to ensure we dressed correctly.

With his help I've started a small collection for the unit, quite an interesting journey through Essex Regt to PSSCA and then its own badges. When I've got them scanned I will try and post an album on the forum.

Glad that it was of interest (and it took me down memory lane too finding all my old photos!)

Regards

Michael
Old 14-10-13, 11:47 AM

Michael,

It is a small world. Do you know Martin Daniell, I believe he is or was connected with the Essex Cadets for some considerable time.

I wonder what the source of the "C"`s was ?

Thanks again.

Peter

Old 14-10-13, 12:42 PM

Michael,

My memory not quite what it was, this from the MHS Bulletin of November 1974 and Keith was looking for insignia for your schools Corps of Drums.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1460.jpg (54.0 KB, 15 views)

Old 17-10-13, 12:06 PM

That's fascinating to see, thanks for sharing Peter. I started with the CoD in 1983 and it was always a struggle to find items and spares so we were dressed correctly, and Keith was brilliant in supporting us (and judging by that article others at a remove too!) I don't know the other name, but I'm corresponding with Keith at present and will mention it to him to see if that rings any bells.

I've just joined the MHS too and looking forward to improving my knowledge and understanding from that source too.

Regards

Michael
Old 10-03-14, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
PB, don't know whether this is helpful? In my younger days I was part of King Edward VI Grammar School Chelmsford CCF, which has a Corps of Drums. This was affiliated to and had permission to wear the uniform of the Essex Regiment. As part of this we wore a C/Essex two part title on the shoulder. I have an old photo, scan quality is not the best but does show this being worn, also a close up. This is c. 1984. The C were two lug versions in brass.

I also found a more recent picture on the web, again not crystal clear but the C/Essex can be seen there: http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Ch...#axzz2hecWnwNs

Now being CCF and a voluntary CoD I have no idea whether there were dress regs to officially support this, but it was certainly worn!

I'm not owning up to which one is me in the photo either :-)

Regards

Michael
It must be one of this C, I think the big one is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0084.jpg (33.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-03-14, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Peter, Please excuse me hijacking your thread for a moment!

John,

A very good photo of your father. To clarify, niether the KC or QC have been worn on the standard helmet plate by the City of London Police. The KC was on a prortype helmet plate made during WW2 but never issued (examples used to reside under lock & key in the clothing stores well into the 1980's).
City Constables and Sgts wear their 'collar number' on their helmet plate.
The KC & QC have only been worn on peaked caps.

I've attached two helmet plate photos. I cannot attribute a source to the phots as they came from a Google search. The one with brass numerals is similar to that worn by your father.

Stephen.
Stephen,

Your comment regarding the "unissued" King's Crown helmet plate is not quite correct. The plate was manufactured immediately post. the 1934 publication of a Home Office report dealing with the standardisation of police uniform. It was not, as you say, a prototype. Quite a large number (several hundred) were made. A number of forces had similar helmet plates produced to comply with the desires of the Home Office, several wore them when performing duty as part of mutual aid detachments outside their own force area on standard "Home Office" pattern helmets. Notably, the Coronation of the present Queen in 1953. Others, the C of L included never wore them at all. A selection of City of London insignia, including the helmet plate in question is shown on the appended photo.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoL Pol..jpg (83.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-03-14, 03:55 PM

Dave,

Lovely display.

Peter,

I have recently sold 2 real photographic postcards of Officers in cadet units badged as the Queens and also coincidently to the King's, both wearing 'C's under their OSD lapel badges.

I have a pair of 'C';s in in my Manchester Regiment Schools, Cadets and OTC section and somewhere have photos of them being worn.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-03-14, 04:22 PM

Simon,

I think I was outbid on one of the photos you were selling which showed the offices wearing the "C"s on their collar with Kings Regt badges which the cadets were also wearing, I seem to recall it was a school at or near Southport.

Peter