British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-12, 04:39 AM

Default Long shot

In 1971 at my maternal grandmother's funeral, just after I'd begun my apprenticeship, one of her relatives attended. I don't recall all the details unfortunately but he was said by my mother and aunties to have achieved the 2nd highest decoration for having taken over what might have been most likely cavalry (or possibly infantary) attack at a shore landing after the officer was killed. Actually, he was more identified as the person of whom stories were told in the family. For many years I remembered some of the details clearly, including what the award was etc. All those years ago the story was obviously fresh in my mind - but not now. It's likely he was a Stephens, or a Hamilton. I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of it now but I thought there might be a list of those decorated in WW1 which could help my researching. If any such lists are available on line I'd must appreciative any advice on the details of how to find them so I can get in on paper for the next generation if the search is fruitful.

Cheers

Brian
Old 06-07-12, 05:34 PM

I think the medal would have been the Distinguished Conduct Medal, fairly certain there is a role, no doubt someone here will point you in the right direction
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 07-07-12, 09:07 AM

Thanks Lee.
Old 08-07-12, 02:40 AM

Brian,

Here is a book,which if your relative has won a D.C.M and was a NZer ,may hold the details your after.Available at Wilsonscott publishing,Christchurch

Regards Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (9.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-07-12, 04:52 AM

Thanks Iain. I'll try that. I might be off chasing wild geese but the book will be worth reading anyway.

Best Regards

Brian
Old 11-07-12, 05:20 AM

Brian,

Send me an email with details and I will look for you.

Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgia-nz View Post
Thanks Iain. I'll try that. I might be off chasing wild geese but the book will be worth reading anyway.

Best Regards

Brian
Old 13-07-12, 07:41 AM

Thumbs up

Will do. Thanks.
Old 05-08-12, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Will do. Thanks.
Possibly found the information, although it may not have been the person my mother and aunts referred to it's likely so. Percy Roy McMahon #25289. 14th Reinforcements J Company. Photos of him show that he was in the Mounted Rifles having enlisted in the 3rd Auckland Infantry. The cenotaph records how he embarked in June 1916. There is a Corporal P R McMahon on the NZ Army Medal Roll awarded a Military Medal. So perhaps it ties together with the story as I remember it and in the way his nieces may have recalled. His file isn't down loaded on Archives NZ yet, but of the Mc Mahons that served in WW1 there are no others I can find with the initials P R. The file would tell the story now that I have the name firmed up.

George Hamilton McMahon #7077 some might remember who I posted about earlier, my Grandfather, enlisted in the Marsden Rifles and reached SA when the war was over. Somebody pointed out here that two of his fellows were still killed. His grandfather was Colour Sergeant Andrew McMahon of 21st Foot so maybe the later generations weren't so keen on marching.

In 'narrowing' down the search I have a much bigger portfolio to investigate.
Old 05-08-12, 07:50 AM

Hello Brian,

the quirkey 14th J company badge is actually a Infantry reinforcement badge,not a NZMR reinforcement badge,although it features a horses head.J company were a unattached infantry company.It has been misrepresented in our badge reference books,although corrected in the latest Oldham catalougue.The same badge was overstamped and used by the 19th Mounted rifles reinforcements.

Regards Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1788_1.jpg (47.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1789_1.jpg (41.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 101148010_full_crop.jpg (13.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-08-12, 08:04 AM

And what a selection of badges Percy is wearing.Auckland Infantry cap,NZMR shoulder titles and J company collars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0084_crop.jpg (35.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-08-12, 09:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
And what a selection of badges Percy is wearing.Auckland Infantry cap,NZMR shoulder titles and J company collars
Bloody hell Iain. I saw those Mounted Rifles cap badges you've placed above on line today on a NZ forum that you are part of. At the time I was tracking down some clues - it struck me as a little odd looking? I also noted the Auckland Regiment cap badge Percy was wearing - but I'm blinked if I know, or have heard of, or seen - in my short time of interest about such things, those collars.

The 'mixed lot' reinforces the fact of what could be described in other situations 'as first up best dressed' reigning as men came from farms, bush, and mines alike to join the war effort, most often proud, it seems, of their own roots and what they came to fight for - independently minded, and quietly proud.

The photo on the same page as the one you've linked shows him with crop and spurs.

Cheers for that

Brian
Old 05-08-12, 09:29 AM

Brian,

I have seen a few portrait pics of 14th J company soldiers.They were all infantry privates ,not troopers(the Mounted rifles equivalent rank),and all ended up serving in the Infantry.If you look carefully on the circlet scroll on the badge,you will notice the different wording on the badge .XIV .J.Company Reinforcements was the original.The badge was overstamped XIX Mounted reinforcementss for later use by 19th MR reinforcements.The camp Jewellers were quite crafty in disposing old stock.For more ramblings see website NZMR.org ''Reinforcement badges'' on the forum.

There is a XIV J company collar badge for sale on Trademe at the moment.The badge is rare ,Oldham's 2011 catalouge has it as NZ $450 for the cap,and $250 for the collar badge

cheers Iain

Last edited by pukman; 05-08-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-08-12, 04:49 AM

Default Percy in Jodhpurs

Hi Iain. Could you explain the uniform Percy is wearing here?
I've read that link you provided with interest but will need to do so a couple of more times as there is a bit to absorb for a novice. Maybe they need a few volunteers at Archway to speed up the discoveries.

Old 07-08-12, 06:24 AM

Default Not a horse in sight.

Quote:
Hi Iain. Could you explain the uniform Percy is wearing here?
I've read that link you provided with interest but will need to do so a couple of more times as there is a bit to absorb for a novice. Maybe they need a few volunteers at Archway to speed up the discoveries.

I guess this solves part of the mystery of J Force. Not a horse in sight in this account which I just found in 'Papers Past.'

Old 07-08-12, 09:11 AM

Hello Brian,

Herman Schimdt,the photographer of this picture, was in my opinion,the leading soldier portrait photographer of his day.In fact his pictures are distinctive.In the scio-economic times of the day,when anti Germanic sentiments were at a fever pitch,his work stands testiment to the man,that he could overcome the prevailing prejudices, and be a sort after photographer.

The spurs and the crop may be props provided by the photographer.We may have to look further into Percy's file to see why he chose to wear the whip and crop.As i have said ,the J company 14th reinforcements were an infantry company.But within a infantry company there were transport sections etc;which involved horse's,so thats a possibility also.

regards Iain

Last edited by pukman; 07-08-12 at 03:19 PM.