British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-12, 07:28 AM
Banned

Lets keep the discussion on the examples presented so far in the thread. A die struck badge can always be identified versus a cast/spun badge under a high power jewellers loop.

I appreciate your comments and massive NZ badges experiance Brent, however having cut my teeth collecting WW2 German badges, I do know how to spot a fake/copy/spun/cast badge when I have it in my hands.
Old 04-11-12, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzef1940 View Post
Lets keep the discussion on the examples presented so far in the thread.
"We owe almost all our knowledge, not to those who have agreed, but to those who had differed."
(Charles Colton, English writer born 1780)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzef1940 View Post
A die struck badge can always be identified versus a cast/spun badge under a high power jewellers loop.
I appreciate your comments and massive NZ badges experiance Brent, however having cut my teeth collecting WW2 German badges, I do know how to spot a fake/copy/spun/cast badge when I have it in my hands.
Mike, I seem to recall that you too bid on that fake LRP badge that I mentioned in my last post, and then joined this forum.

The point I am making is that the copies have fooled the so called experts, and thanks to this thread, we are now all a little bit wiser.
Old 04-11-12, 06:43 AM
Banned

Brent

Note my comment 'I do know how to spot a fake/copy/spun/cast badge when I have it in my hands'.

The other badge that I and others bid on was indeed a good copy, bought to our attention by the superb photographic analysis of Ric.

Last edited by nzef1940; 04-11-12 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 07:32 AM

Mike, as I have already mentioned somewhere in this thread, I am no expert when it comes to badges, in fact the majority of my collection is German.

However, thanks to this thread I feel I am confident enough to spot a fake LRP badge just from photos.

No, if you want an expert analysis, Ric is the man to ask.
Old 04-11-12, 08:43 AM
Banned

I am 100% happy with my badge.

All the best.

Mike
Old 04-11-12, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Peter, welcome to the discussion, the quote from Shaun that you have used directly relates to Post #25, which just happened to be one of mine.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with some of what you have said, but thats not a bad thing, it just means we get to debate it up a bit, which I believe can only lead to a better understanding.

Now the being 100% correct is going to be the hardest one to prove considering LRP badges is not your field of collecting, but then again as I dont own a LRP badge, I feel we are evenly matched.

Now I seem to recall (Posts No.s 74 & 93) that both Shaun and Craig Hooper placed bids on a fake LRP badge. This suggests to me that the fakers must be getting something right, as both of these collectors supposedly already own original LRP badges with which I am sure they made comparrisons with before bidding.

Now in regards to the difference between struck and cast badges, as an old school engineer with a wide range of tool and die experience, I may have a slight advantage over you.

IMO “detail and the quality of the finish” really depends on the person undertaking the job.
Yes the quality will be crap if a badge is impressed into a mould and then hot liquid metal pored into it, unfortunately technology has advaced to a point that with the use of computers and CNC machining, you no longer need a master engraver to produce negative and positive dies.

“Die ‘Struck’ badges are struck from a solid piece of metal, brass etc.”
IMO you should change this to “struck from sheet metal.”

"Die ‘Spun’ or ‘Cast’ badges are made from a combination of metals"
As are both 'Die Struck and Die Cast' badges, which kind of makes this statement pointless.
Interestingly officer bronze badges are usually die cast, yet the 3-D look you mention is just as good as brass die struck badges.

The real difference between metals that are die struck and those that are die cast that you should mention, is that sheet metal goes through the exact same process of being heated to a molten liquid, the difference is that it is then poured into ingots and then rolled into sheets of metal, which the rolling removes imperfections such as air bubbles which is sometimes encounted with cast badges.
LOL — Que Sera, Sera.
Old 05-11-12, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
LOL — Que Sera, Sera.
LMAO never been serenaded by an Aussie before.
Old 05-11-12, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
LMAO never been serenaded by an Aussie before.
I'm not. I'm laughing at your comments to me. Que Sera, Sera means whatever will be, will be.
Old 05-11-12, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Que Sera, Sera means whatever will be, will be.
Only when used in song form, otherwise it is not grammatically correct.
Old 05-11-12, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Only when used in song form, otherwise it is not grammatically correct.
Do me a favour, stay in your country and don't come and live in mine — we have enough idiots from overseas living here already!
Old 05-11-12, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Do me a favour, stay in your country and don't come and live in mine — we have enough idiots from overseas living here already!
I thought that the majority of Australians were from overseas?
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 05-11-12, 05:32 PM

It would have been nice to keep this thread tidy,instead of the circus it has become.Shame,shame,shame.

every one is welcome to comment,but lets stick with the facts.Its not a mud slinging exercise ,its a learning one.
Old 06-11-12, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
It would have been nice to keep this thread tidy,instead of the circus it has become.Shame,shame,shame.

every one is welcome to comment,but lets stick with the facts.Its not a mud slinging exercise ,its a learning one.
I post on this forum to both share information and question information.
As such I have questioned the information that Peter has provided and given the reasons why I have questioned it.
I make no apologies, it is not me who has lost their rag and thrown their toys out of their cot.
Old 06-11-12, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I post on this forum to both share information and question information.
As such I have questioned the information that Peter has provided and given the reasons why I have questioned it.
I make no apologies, it is not me who has lost their rag and thrown their toys out of their cot.
Then lets stick with the topic.

Que sera sera ,i thought i had wrongly logged on to Doris Day.com with you chaps all serenadeing each other.
Old 06-11-12, 08:47 AM

Default Known fakes

Here are a few known fakes,obvious to people who have seen multiple examples of the genuine badges ,but to the uninitiated the could be the real deal.Made to fool,yes!!

I have many high definition photo's of genuine badges sent to me by collectors ,but to protect thier integrity and investments I will keep them in private files.
I would imagine these were made in the 1980's/90's.
Ask yourself if the fakers have got better in the days of digital technology.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !CF(OPtQEWk~$(KGrHqYOKm8E1SmcW-,wBNU0Grif2g~~_12.jpg (57.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg !CF(OQq!CWk~$(KGrHqEOKpgE0VI+1O!EBNU0GuvJm!~~_12.jpg (47.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqN,!i0E3SGCFGI1BN3lcEyN9Q~~0_12.jpg (61.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 46378069.jpg (90.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg copy 2.jpg (13.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg copy.jpg (11.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by pukman; 06-11-12 at 09:17 AM.