British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-09-08, 05:27 PM

Default Staybrite Caernarvon & Denbighshire badges

Hi Guys,
Here's one for the staybrite collectors in the forum. I have 2 Anodised aluminium badges to the said Regt both are different! As can hopefully be seen in the piccys, picture 1 & 2 is a staybrite badge made by J.R Gaunt London it is a similar pattern to Gaylor's plate 33D. I believe this to be the genuine item. Pictures 3 & 4 are a different style of badge were the "Ich Dien" scrolls appear well detatched from the the bottom title scroll.As one forum member said on another thread it looks like a Wiltshire Yeo badge with a scroll added on underneath.My Personal feeling is that the badge depicted in pics 3 & 4 is a reject a/a badge for the C & D Yeo - the gold colour is poor and also overlaps on to the plumes.It also has a blank slider which suggests to me it was likely to have been never issued. I prefer to look at this item as a reject rather than an all too readily used term "fake anodised".
I would like to think when Firmin took over Gaunt in Birmingham all previously rejected badges in the store rooms would have been sold off , hence all the mistakes and odd variations that turn up.
I think any currently produced "fake anodised" are so poorly made they wouldn't fool even a novice collector.
Do any other members in the forum have any other C & D Yeo staybrites similar to the ones shown or any opinions on authenticity of their badges.
Regards.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0385.jpg (72.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0387.jpg (66.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0391.jpg (74.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0388.jpg (63.7 KB, 133 views)