British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-12, 11:56 PM

Default A strange survivor

Dear NZ collectors,

back in the 1980's I used to go to my church jumble sale in North London, every Sunday. I became a familiar figure. One day one of the old ladies there said that if I was interested she had her families 'military stuff'. She was about to 'go back to NZ for the last time', and would I, A) be interested in it and B) put some money in the charity box. Obviously, though a mere youngster, the answer to both was 'yes'. Hence I received a group of WW1 medals, a box of WW1 badges, a WW2 RAF cap badge (of which more later), a Tin of assorted badges (of which more later) a set of WW1 award certificates and finally a notebook.

The notebook fascinated me. A hard back book that would just about fit in a pocket. The story I was told was that her Father had joined the Army. He became a 'batman' and served an officer. Looking at the book I suspect it was illegal as it contained names, ranks, locations and pictures. I suspect some of it was filled in on the boat back to NZ, but some signatures could only have been acquired in theatre.

I attach some pictures, of some of the many pages, but I'm aware this should all be documented and I'll try to attach photos. Names of officers and staff in Brigade Headquarters, from Lt Col, through Capt, RSM, to 'Runner'. Some of you out there may have relatives/medals/badges involved.

I'd love to know some stories about the individuals mentioned, and I'm sure there are some out there. Over to you. I particularly love the pictures of 'Digger' and 'Appous an Shocolat' which are dated Nov 17, so the war still had a year to run...

I know I'm bad at following through with photos/stories, for which I apologise, but encourage me here. I'm happy for you to copy/circulate the pictures, not being a copyright lawyer, but just keep me informed if you find out anything about the individuals mentioned, or if you want more photos. Oh, and a final word, I'm so impressed at the standard of artwork and penmanship (calligraphy?) demonstrated by the soldiers, that I wonder where we went wrong. I'm just sorry that we'll not see their type again...

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2495.jpg (61.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2494.jpg (42.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2496.jpg (55.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2497.jpg (52.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2498.jpg (51.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2499.jpg (41.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2500.jpg (59.2 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by ianh67military; 23-07-12 at 12:02 AM.