British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-12, 06:15 PM

Default Mix up at the Quartermasters store

Heres a portrait of Trooper Edward Geary.He's a Southland lad,born raised and schooled.,who enlisted down here,joined the Otago Mounted Rifles,9th reinforcementsThe photograph was taken while on final leave,prior to sailing,in Invercargill.. He is wearing straight NZMR shoulder titles and a numeral 9 (for 9th reinforcements).......and 6th Hauraki Infantry badges.

Imagine his indignation,it just not right,poor chap.I think someone is paying a practical joke on him.Southland lads don't wear Auckland gear.

On a sober note,Geary was transfered to 8th company ,Otago infantry and killed in action at the Somme 15/9/1916
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edward Geary.jpg (47.4 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by pukman; 27-01-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 28-01-12, 12:20 AM

Iain, are you 100% sure it is a picture of Trooper Edward Geary?
Old 28-01-12, 04:01 AM

Yes Brent 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E Geary.jpg (82.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 28-01-12, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Yes Brent 100%
Good to clear that up because I am sure you know there were two Edward Geary's that were killed in action, of which the other did embark with the Auckland infantry.

Have you checked Geary's service file?

My thinking is Geary either had previous service with the 6th Hauraki Territorials, or the more likely scenario is that on his hearing that the Otago Mounteds were to be used to create half of the new Pioneer Battalion that was being formed around that time from the Maori Battalion, Geary decided on transferring to the infantry and was posted to the Hauraki's.
Old 28-01-12, 08:30 AM

Hi Brent,
even a third independant named photo confirms that this is deffinately Trooper Geary.Being on my local roll of honour he has been in he sights for a long time.I got his photo this week.I have his record ,he never left this fair province other than to train,fight and die for New Zealand.The photo was taken on his final leave home,prior to sailing.

If any one has the Iconic ''New Zealanders at War'' by Michael King theres a picture of roll of honour for the Hokonui lads (served as well as killed in action) on the final page.
Unfortunately long gone, replaced by a 1950's replacement.

But why the Auckland infantry badge ?who knows

Last edited by pukman; 28-01-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 28-01-12, 11:53 PM

Iain, on the opposite page of the Hokonui Roll of Honour is the Soldiers section at Karori Cemetary where my Great Grandfather rests in plot 2 J/3.

I was at Karori cemetary a couple of weeks ago visiting family and took the following photos.

These following photos were not in the Soldiers section and are not connected to me in anyway, I just found it interesting that the chap on the right is named "John Thomas" and the chap on the left is named "Kong Dick."