British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-07, 03:51 PM

Default Yorkshire Dragoons

In thumbnails 1 and 2, are the front/reverse of a set of chrome issue, at 3 is the reverse of a white metal arm badge (note the fastening pin which has been removed prior to being chromed in the previous example). Number 4 shows the rear of a Smith and Wright B'ham gilding metal badge shown a 5(notice the strengthener between the rose and crown). All the arm badges are constructed from a separate crown and rose brazed together. Finally no 5 , two variation in collars ( notice the kings crown on the officers silver plate(at bottom). Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yorks dragoons 001.jpg (75.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg yorks dragoons 002.jpg (76.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg yorks dragoons 003.jpg (35.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg yorks dragoons 004.jpg (42.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg yorks dragoons 005.jpg (71.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 29-10-07, 03:40 PM

Default Yorkshire Dragoons Arm Badges

When I purchased the badge on the left, I was told it was a senior n.c.o,s arm badge, I have shown the normal pattern on the right for comparison.Both badges are constructed from a separate crown and rose, knowing no better I declined the purchase of a Victorian crowned arm badge twenty years ago because it had the same construction, for the princely some of £20, what a clown. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ydarm 001.jpg (64.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg ydarm 002.jpg (56.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 14-11-08, 12:42 PM

Here are a few variations of Yorkshire dragoon collar badges. From left to right all brass, chrome and officers silver plate with Kings crown. Also I have managed to photo the strengthener fitted to the rear of the crown and rose joint on Smith and Wright badges, All the best Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg york dragoon.jpg (12.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 14-11-08, 01:17 PM

Default Yorkshire Hussars Arm Badge

This badge was given to me by the brother of a man who served in Palestine in WW2 in the Middlesbrough Squadron, apparently on horseback in the beginning, As you can see its the standard Prince of Wales plumes die cast badge. All the best Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg york huss arm.jpg (7.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 17-12-08, 08:53 AM

Default Yorkshire Dragoons Officers on eBay

Not sure where exactly to post this, my apologies if it is miss filed. Came across an original cast bronze officers Yorkshire Dragoons headdress badge at a bargain price. No bidders yet asking £19,99 for it. It is a £50 badge.
You can find it at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yorkshire-Drag...40%3A1318#img1

This badge was only ever issued as a cast bronze and is of a style unique to officers. There are small numbers of repro die struck brass badges on lugs that look extremely good. I think they have been around a long time so the patina is deceptive. They are restrikes all be it old ones.

Cheers, Dave

PS, forgot to mention that i have no connections with this guy. Have bought stuff from him previously without problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YorksDragoonsF.jpg (17.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg YorksDragoonsB.jpg (12.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Deejayuu; 17-12-08 at 09:02 AM.
Old 17-12-08, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Not sure where exactly to post this, my apologies if it is miss filed. Came across an original cast bronze officers Yorkshire Dragoons headdress badge at a bargain price. No bidders yet asking £19,99 for it. It is a £50 badge.

This badge was only ever issued as a cast bronze and is of a style unique to officers. There are small numbers of repro die struck brass badges on lugs that look extremely good. I think they have been around a long time so the patina is deceptive. They are restrikes all be it old ones.

Cheers, Dave

PS, forgot to mention that i have no connections with this guy. Have bought stuff from him previously without problem.
This is the second one he's selling/sold in the last month. I'd never seen one previously.

I've had good badges off him too, again without problems
Old 17-12-08, 02:26 PM
Badge Guru

I`m not sure about those lugs. They appear to be brass and the alignment looks strange.
Old 17-12-08, 02:55 PM
Mr. Jackanory

This dealer has some very good badges, others have an interesting patina. He did have, and I bid on, cap, collars, and, a shoulder for the 23rd Londons. That was a very nice group, sadly I didn't win. Other badges I am not so sure of.
Old 17-12-08, 03:09 PM

According to Barlow and Smith's book the Yorkshire Dragoons the badge in question is the Field service lapel badge circa 1912 worn with a bronze version of the standard cap badge. Cheer Sean.
Old 17-12-08, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
According to Barlow and Smith's book the Yorkshire Dragoons the badge in question is the Field service lapel badge circa 1912 worn with a bronze version of the standard cap badge. Cheer Sean.

Hi Sean, the book you refer to i am sure is historically correct, however the badge identification is suspect. From fig 24 illustratation 3 refers to a bimetal standard pattern Yorkshire Dragoons badge as being other ranks. Not the case at all, this was restricted to NCO`s only. Like wise with the badge illustrated, it was a cap badge that was also worn as a collar. Whether the size changed i am not sure. This badge is illustrated in K&K vol 1 1421 as being an officers cap badge. Similarly in Cox`s book on wwi badges illustration 1290 as being an officer cap badge.

Kind regards, Dave

Last edited by Deejayuu; 17-12-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 17-12-08, 05:06 PM

You will also find in Cox's book he shows a Fifeshire police badge as the arm badge for the Fife and Forfar yeomanry.Bearing in mind the size difference between the bronze lapel badge and the standard crown over rose badge, an officer could not inter change badges on his headwear.
Old 17-02-09, 11:40 PM

Question Yorkshire Dragoons badge?

Would like to pick the brains of my more learned colleagues. I was presented with an unusual badge by a friend who happens to be a badge dealer and asked if i knew what the attached badge was. He had purchased it in a collection of badges relating to the Yorkshire Dragoons. Larger than a standard cap badge, is bi-metal, has an unusual rose for a 20th C dragoons badge but was used prior to this. It also has an early style QVC on it. The Yorkshire Dragoons Yeomanry Cavalry came into existance in 1889 when the 1st West York Yeomanry Cavalry as permitted to change its title. It may have been used prior to this as i have an illustration of a commerorative medal with a similar rose and crown depicted? One option may have been a sleeve badge. Did the unit wear any headdress other than the helemt with a regimental device on it?
It may well be from another unit altogether. We thought that it could well be 4th West York Militia (K&K 1192) as the device to the centre is very similar with identical style rose. We thought it may be Lancastrian but discounted this as the rose colour is wrong. Another possibility is that it could be Derby Yeomanry?
Any ideas ? Kind regards, Dave

I have attached a scan front and back of the badge alongside a standard bi-metal NCO`s regular sized Yorkshire Dragoons badge for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YorkshireDragoonsF.jpg (32.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg YorkshireDragoonsB.jpg (31.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 18-02-09, 06:49 PM

Looks like a Hampshire carabiniers ncos arm badge,will try and check it out, all the best Sean.
Old 22-02-09, 05:50 PM

Default Yorkshire Dragoons badge?

Found this. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamp yeo copy.jpg (11.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 22-02-09, 07:08 PM

Much obliged Sean,
many thanks, Dave