British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-10, 01:44 PM
Former Member

Jim,
evidence shows that in 1903 sliders were introduced to replace lugs and then in 1906 a slightly shorter slider adopted. Not sure how long your slider was (?). I should imagine that yours is an early example dating post c.1903. I would say it is the same as my lugged badge fitted with a slider!

Andy
Old 19-01-10, 03:14 PM

Yes it's unfortunate that the slider has been clipped (I purchased a number of badges from a collector some years ago and all had been clipped) Yet for me it works as a good example of the period. As an aside are you aware if the collars match the crown attachement for this period?
Jim
Old 31-03-11, 07:05 PM

Default 25 dragoons

25 dragoons are these shoulder titles because they are quite small,they appear to be indian made.The West Riding badge anyone know what it was for? I know its the wrong thread but I can't remove the pics of it.Thanks Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt 024.jpg (59.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg belt 029.jpg (42.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg belt 027.jpg (83.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg belt 031.jpg (80.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 31-03-11, 09:16 PM

Good Evening Roger,
The 25D cast brass shoulder titles are fine. The 25th Dragoons was raised in India in December 1940 from personell drawn from the 3rd (Carbiniers) Dragoon Guards. Although a range of items of insignia was produced in the UK much of it was made in India, as your shoulder titles. They were worn by all ranks. Cloth variations also exist.
I apologise for not being able to comment on the West Riding badge.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 31-03-11, 10:32 PM

Dukes badge looks like a locally made bandsmens badge. As far as i am aware it never was issued officially with a kings crown. Even as late as the 1960s this device with QVC was used on the pouch badge. The same badge was used on the headdress but was replaced much sooner. It probably is a contemporary bazaar sand cast badge, who knows. If you want to part with it or swap it let me know., i always have room for oddities.
Cheers, Dave
PS i have attached a scan of the bandsmens cap badge. The pouch badge was the same but on lugs. Note the QVC that was used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (28.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-04-11, 09:42 AM

Thanks to Peter and Dave for the information these came in a lot of uniforms and badges from a loft clearance mainly D.o.W West Riding and 25 dragoons all tank connected as their are tank arm badges.Roger
Old 01-04-11, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Thanks to Peter and Dave for the information these came in a lot of uniforms and badges from a loft clearance mainly D.o.W West Riding and 25 dragoons all tank connected as their are tank arm badges.Roger
In 1942 the 2/6th Bn of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment adopted an armoured role as 114 Regiment Royal Armoured Corps serving in the UK in a tank delivery role. In 1944 it was redesignated as the 11th Bn Duke of Wellington's.

The 2/7th Bn was converted to 115 Regiment Royal Armoured Corps sometime after 1940 but reverted to being the 12th Bn Duke of Wellington's in 1944.
Old 14-10-12, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
Hi all,

Any comments on the attcahed 25th Dragoons badge would be appreciated.
Hi Hammo
Sorry to say but imo this is wrong, the crossed swords behind the central X should be white metal not brass.
All the best
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25th Dragoons.jpg (64.9 KB, 62 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 14-10-12, 05:39 AM
Former Member

Hammo,
I agree with Malc, IMO the badge you show is a poorly detailed copy and the "XXV" should be a seperate overlay upon Wm swords. The slider is the wrong shape too and should be thiner and slightly tapered as in the image provided by Malc.

Andy
Old 14-10-12, 08:09 AM

Hammo
To add to what Malc and Andy have said, here's the back of a Guant badge. All w/m construction with two seperate brass overlays, crown and XXV/title scroll.
Best regards
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg back.jpeg (42.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg front.jpeg (44.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 14-10-12, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Hammo
To add to what Malc and Andy have said, here's the back of a Guant badge. All w/m construction with two seperate brass overlays, crown and XXV/title scroll.
Best regards
Mark
Hi Mark,
to the top of the first X below the crown is a small piece of un fretted metal that throws the symetry of the badge as it is not present on the other side of the crown. I have the same badge with the same un-fretted metal that i had always had my doubts about but never knew for certain. It would be nice to have it confirmed that this is a manufacturers known flaw.
Cheers, Dave
Old 14-10-12, 04:20 PM

Dave
If we are in luck Peter Seaman may spot this thread.

If you have his book 'For Hostilities Only', Fig 47 appears to show the same unfretted w/m base above the first X though it is hard to make out as it's in light blue shadow (and of course it is w/m on a white backgound).

In his description he goes on to say about the slider '...down the centre of which in very small letters is JR Gaunt London'. The slider on the badge I have shown meets this description with an 11mm deeply impressed Gaunt stamp and is consistent with other contemporary Gaunt sliders in my collection.

Though different to Malc's, the one I have shown I believe meets Peter's description and photograph in the book. I trust we are not hanging our coats on a shuggly hook, but I believe it is genuine.

All the best
Mark
Old 28-03-13, 08:58 AM

Smile 25th Dragoons theatre made

Hi all,

Finally a pukka theatre made 25th Dragoons well I think so here we go.

It measures 37x35mm and is cast bimetal with 3 piece construction if I stretch my imagination to the crown being seperate from the XXV and scroll.

Certainly the backing metal is a single WM piece.

Visulally it looks to be closest to Fig 51 in Peter Seaman's "For Hostilities Only" but only in respect of the sword tip length above the crown but its has the feature described in Fig 52 of the scroll ends looking like they go behind the scabbards.

Looped north-south and yes the size differs a tad but it is noted again to be only a guide.

Anyway I think I may have at last backed the right horse!

regards Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cav.38.f.jpg (57.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg cav.38.r.jpg (63.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 28-03-13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 28-03-13, 11:56 AM

Here's one I picked up some time ago, but I've never been sure if it is 'good' or not. Two part construction, brass and WM and 30 x 38mm and two silver type lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1331.jpg (77.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1332.jpg (91.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1333.jpg (56.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 19-04-13, 10:37 AM

Default 25th Hussars / 26th Dragoons badges

Hi
I wondered if someone could help identify these. Are they NCO's sleeve / arm badges ? The backplates look silvered.

They were part of a collection that was sold at auction a few years ago and i hung on to these but going to sell now so need to be sure of their background ! I haven't checked Kipling / King for ages.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 003.jpg (41.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg badges 004.jpg (42.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg badges 002.jpg (80.3 KB, 62 views)

Tags
25th dragoons