British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-03-11, 07:06 PM

Default Ebay time warp - 4 CLY

The postman dropped a nice little package through the door today, a 4 CLY, big 4, collar in fine condition...a 'buy it' now at £2.50!

PeterA
Old 18-03-11, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
The postman dropped a nice little package through the door today, a 4 CLY, big 4, collar in fine condition...a 'buy it' now at £2.50!

PeterA
Damn it, I missed that one. Is it stamped W.S Hall, Sheffield to the rear?
Old 19-03-11, 08:25 AM

Old Smelly:- Well you have to win one now and again to compensate for the 'expensive fake' purchases.

Keith Blakeman:- My search criteria are specific to my main focus - Sharpshooters. It had been posted just 31 minutes prior to my bid. 'W & H Ld SHFD' on the rear. There are at least five variations of the 4 CLY collar.

Joachim:- Images attached.

PeterA

Old 19-03-11, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Old Smelly:- Well you have to win one now and again to compensate for the 'expensive fake' purchases.

Keith Blakeman:- My search criteria are specific to my main focus - Sharpshooters. It had been posted just 31 minutes prior to my bid. 'W & H Ld SHFD' on the rear. There are at least five variations of the 4 CLY collar.

Joachim:- Images attached.

PeterA
I did see it, but never noticed the 'buy it now' and I gave it a miss as one of the loops appeared to be twisted round on itself.

Attached are mine, both Hall plus a single CLY collar.
Old 19-03-11, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post

I did see it, but never noticed the 'buy it now' and I gave it a miss as one of the loops appeared to be twisted round on itself.

Attached are mine, both Hall plus a single CLY collar.
Keith

The loops were not visible on the single ebay image posted, so must be another badge.

The 23rd LAC CLY collar comes in both cast and pressed form....as does the 4 CLY.

Peter
Old 19-03-11, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Keith

The loops were not visible on the single ebay image posted, so must be another badge.

The 23rd LAC CLY collar comes in both cast and pressed form....as does the 4 CLY.

Peter
The one Griff has mentioned is the one I saw, I thought I was losing it for a minute.

I've only ever seen dodgy cast Gaunt 4 CLY in cap badge size.
Old 21-10-11, 02:56 PM

Default 4 CLY

Could any resident expert tell me what brass shoulder titles were worn by 4 CLY in WW2. I'm particularly interested in the unusual design illustrated in Boris Mollo's book The Sharpshooters (p 70) - a curved title 4 CLY over "SHARPSHOOTERS"
Was this actually worn?
Thanks
Mike
Old 21-10-11, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Could any resident expert tell me what brass shoulder titles were worn by 4 CLY in WW2. I'm particularly interested in the unusual design illustrated in Boris Mollo's book The Sharpshooters (p 70) - a curved title 4 CLY over "SHARPSHOOTERS"
Was this actually worn?
Thanks
Mike
I've got one of these along with the 4CLY and a long SHARPSHOOTERS one. The last is almost certainly theatre made. For a short lived unit there are a lot of titles. I'd like to see some photos of any of them being worn, along with the 4 cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W.363. 4 CLY-SHARPHOOTERS.jpg (32.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg W.362. 4CLY.jpg (24.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg W.346. SHARPSHOOTERS.jpg (16.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 21-10-11, 04:28 PM

Keith,
Many thanks. I've not been able to find an image of the first or third titles being worn, but at least one of the Wehrmacht images of the CLY prisoners in Normandy shows the second - 4 CLY - title being worn.
Yeo.4_CLY_Normandy_PW.jpg
Mike
Old 21-10-11, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Keith,
Many thanks. I've not been able to find an image of the first or third titles being worn, but at least one of the Wehrmacht images of the CLY prisoners in Normandy shows the second - 4 CLY - title being worn.

Mike
Thanks for the photo Mike. Have they had their cap badges removed ?

I should have pointed out earlier, the curved title also has a maker stamp Walker & Hall, Sheffield. This company also made the collars (supposedly also worn in the beret) with the odd shaped 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th County of London (Sharpshooters). (Pair).jpg (57.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 21-10-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 21-10-11, 05:00 PM

Default CLY

A question from my co-author of the CLY article for Militaria:
Has anyone has clear information on the wearing of the CLY NCO's badge by 3 CLY, the 4 CLY and then the 3/4 CLY during WW II on the BD blouse or was it reserved for the blue patrols?
From which rank was it worn Cpl, L/Sgt etc...? Above the stripes or on them?
Any information would be gratefully received
Mike

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 21-10-11 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 21-10-11, 05:21 PM

I have a WW2 Sgts BD that has no arm badge, I'm fairly certain that there are no holes or signs of it having been worn but I will double check
Lee
Old 21-10-11, 05:29 PM

I also have the 4CLY titles as 1&2 above, but another curved set I have are just 4CLY and on close inspection it would appear that the ''Sharpshooters'' title below has been cut off, not sure why
Lee
Old 21-10-11, 06:05 PM

Lee,
Many thanks. Your information is, as usual, invaluable
Mike
Old 25-06-12, 06:52 AM

Default 4 CLY Sharpshooters - That cap badge.

I picked up another variation of the 4 CLY cap badge on ebay last week. It was from a respected dealer who had bought it with a collection from auctioneers Wallis & Wallis.

It may go some way to explaining why we have never seen the full size cap badge with the 'stylized 4' as illustrated in the Boris Mollo book. The Sharpshooter Museum do not have an example.

It had been suspected that the smaller scale 'collar' had been worn as a cap badge in photographs taken presumably in N. Africa.

The badge in question (with the red dot) is quite crude in construction, a casting, and gives the typical appearance of a badge made in theatre.

The white metal '4' seems to have been taken from a collar and re-brazed to the larger brass casting.

The 'regular 4' cap badge for comparison in the image is a fake.

There must be a reason why there is a disproportionate number of 'stylized 4' collars to cap badges. The 'collars' in cast and pressed form appear regularly, but until now never a cap badge.

The 'stylized 4' collar in the image has been converted to pin fixing, with evidence where the lugs have been removed. So either a 'sweetheart' or possibly for temporary fitment to a service hat with minimal damage.

PeterA