British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-20, 06:05 PM

Default Forerunner of the Star & Garter badges??

The illustrated badges are for the RAAF and I'm led to believe they are from WWII. If so then they were obviously the pattern for the later "Star & Garter" badge system. I have posted this in the RAAF section but, to date, it has solicited no replies so thought I would try it here.
Can anyone give me information regarding the attached badges. I would like to know the time period used, their physical size, where worn and the position worn on the uniform. If anyone has a photo of the badge being worn it would help. Thanks in anticipation.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAAF Trainee Aircrew Temporate 2.jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RAAF Trainee Aircrew Temporate 1.jpg (44.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg RAAF Trainee Aircrew Tropical.jpg (50.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dragon166; 01-09-20 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 02-09-20, 10:55 AM

Default RAAF AIRCREW BADGES

Browsing a local library military section recently and came across a folded paper inside a book with pictures similar to yours with added written notes as follows Quote RAAF Non Commissioned Aircrew Rank Badges still in use 1958. The RAAF was to follow the example of the Royal Air Force and introduce different ranks and insignia for those of non-commissioned rank employed in an aircrew category. This decision is attributed to Air Vice Marshal J E (Joe) Hewit who was Air Member for Personnel.Unquote Hope this helps
Ray
Old 02-09-20, 11:05 AM

Thanks Ray for the info. I am trying to find out if these were used before the introduction of the RAF versions or introduced at the same time. They may have been introduced earlier and became the design pattern for the RAF badges. One dealer in Australia quotes them as being WWII, also borne out by the brown embroidery on the KD version.
Dave
Old 02-09-20, 03:20 PM

1. Royal Assent for the series of Rank Badges for RAF Aircrew was granted on 23 August 1949.
2. A picture in "Flight of the 30 August 1957" shows one of the RAAF badges being worn.
3. I suggest that the quote I sent previously "The RAAF was to follow the example of the RAF" would indicate that the badge design was initially for the RAF.
4.More from the written notes follow: The design was adopted from the United Kingdom and the predominant feature was a laurel wreath with stars indicating the seniority and, in the case of Aircrew Master, featured the Royal Coat of Arms at the top of the wreath. The badges were produced in opposing pairs, on blue melton cloth and in khaki drap types for winter and summer uniforms respectively.
5. Incidentally I don't think the RAF badges were ever produced for tropical uniforms. Pictures from the Far East show blue badges being worn on armlets and bush jackets. Ray
Old 02-09-20, 05:18 PM

Thanks Ray, I think that clearly shows they were not WWII then.
Dave
Old 03-09-20, 11:22 AM

Sorry Dave, Royal Assent date should read 23 August 1946.
Ray