British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-19, 11:14 PM

Default Opinions please

Hi All,

I have been weeding out the badges I feel are not what they report to be could you look at these 4 badges and please comment. I will post a selection of originals from my infantry collection soon, but as always still finding dubious badges after reading threads from the forum gents please keep up the good work. Quit new to the hobby only been collecting for 30 years.

Thanks,

Colin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4FD6090B-589B-4E59-91FB-73296F256D1D.jpg (71.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg A7A389D7-712B-4E68-9123-B8D570B0D6F3.jpg (77.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 30-12-19, 01:07 AM

It is always hard for me to judge by the photos, but I cant see anything blatantly wrong with any of these badges.
The Inniskilling is odd in that it is a two piece badge, as officer badges usually were, but with a slider. This does not mean that it is a fake however. It almost looks as though it is a Indian "bazaar" made badge.
The blank scroll Dorsets I am sure will be replied to by others more knowledgeable than I, as they are bit difficult.

CB
Old 30-12-19, 01:17 AM

I would say the Dorsetshire is a wrong 'un. Erased scroll, overlapping tower. Pretty sure it should be on a slider.

The Iniskillings is a cast badge, looks very new.

The R Irish Fusiliers looks like a modern slider.
Old 30-12-19, 02:38 AM

I agree the RIF looks to have a bad slider. The Skins I still think is a bazaar made example. The slider and type of pins folded on the reverse is often seen on such badges. A close up photo would help.

CB
Old 30-12-19, 11:07 AM

Default Skins close up picture

Hi

I have attached a few close up pictures of the skins badge, has anybody a view on the lugged Northamptonshire badge.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9AE0C8F-8A72-46BF-8CD9-CF15CDB35EEF.jpg (47.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DCF4A865-2989-4E61-B7C6-034D75007904.jpg (47.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 30-12-19, 12:13 PM

Sorry none that I would place in my collection [I would have to be 100% + sure ] Like Manchesters said a steep learning curve after 46 years of collecting I'm still learning The good thing these days a lot of information on line
David
Old 30-12-19, 12:44 PM

I've placed 3 examples of North hampton shire in my album and gallery k/c slider ,victorian lugs and 4th T A
For some reason they are upside down but you can see the backs /fronts for details
David
Old 30-12-19, 03:34 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the post in the gallery I will take a look, but I do feel that a lugged Northamptonshire badge should have a sharper definition on the reverse.

Colin.
Old 30-12-19, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinboz View Post
Hi

I have attached a few close up pictures of the skins badge, has anybody a view on the lugged Northamptonshire badge.

Thanks.
Typical example of an Indian bazaar made piece. Just when it was made is another matter, but one cannot always be sure because as it looks so new.
These badges were usually made with the WM parts having a high content of silver which stays bright for ages. The brass or gilding metal parts again varied in content and likewise often stay bright much longer than typical British made badges. I would keep this one.

CB
Old 30-12-19, 04:07 PM

Hi CB

Great news so back into my collection.

Thanks,

Colin.