British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-21, 10:21 PM

Default Montgomeryshire imperial yeomanry

Two cap badges the brass version I have shown before and received thumbs up on, a multi piece construction.

White metal badge more recent pick up.

I would appreciate others thoughts on this badge indeed both if anything is wrong

Regards to all

Stephen
Old 15-03-21, 11:33 PM

The GM badge is genuine but the WM one is fake I’m afraid.
Old 16-03-21, 08:12 AM

You compare the two and they are completely different, both the materials and manufacture used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Two cap badges the brass version I have shown before and received thumbs up on, a multi piece construction.

White metal badge more recent pick up.

I would appreciate others thoughts on this badge indeed both if anything is wrong

Regards to all

Stephen
Old 16-03-21, 04:11 PM

Thank you Luke and Frank,

I had noticed they are different strikes, I believe made both in brass and W/M,

Noteably the feet are different configuration, glad that I have one positive example of this hard to find badge.

Luke do you have image of original W/m version for comparison.

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice it is nice to have support to rely upon,

Kind regards
Stephen

Last edited by yorkstone; 22-03-21 at 08:20 AM.
Old 16-03-21, 04:31 PM

Post #2 in this thread shows a close up of a looped WM badge. The slidered badges are from the same die so identical save the fixing. If you need a close up of one let me know and I’ll dig mine out.

Couple distant pics of slidered ones in post #6.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ontgomeryshire

As you touched on the construction should be tabs that are scroll to dragon not the other way round nor solid as a one piece for the MIY.
Old 16-03-21, 04:55 PM

Luke
Interesting so we’re looking for two part badge on both,
Obviously my W/M item is one piece strike and feet different. From others
Thanks that explains it.

Stephen
Old 16-03-21, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
You compare the two and they are completely different, both the materials and manufacture used.
What on earth does that mean? Of course one is white metal and the other gilding metal, one is a single piece stamp the other is two. That's obvious. There's also the possibility of makers differently although I accept this isn't the case here.

For someone who hasn't been collecting for a short period and isn't aware that it's generally accepted that the two piece badge is the correct one your comment does nothing to help and as usual it's posted after everyone else has put their opinion on the line.

If I was a newbie I'd look at the WM badge and think that's the correct badge. Look at the detail, the claws, scales, font, there's not really a lot of difference between the sliders other than the tip.
Old 16-03-21, 09:14 PM

Keith,
Agreed, the post adds nothing whatsoever to the information needed for the new collector.
Hwyl,
Kevin

Last edited by 41st; 16-03-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 17-03-21, 07:13 AM

Clearly it means exactly what it says, based solely upon the photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
What on earth does that mean? Of course one is white metal and the other gilding metal, one is a single piece stamp the other is two. That's obvious. There's also the possibility of makers differently although I accept this isn't the case here.

For someone who hasn't been collecting for a short period and isn't aware that it's generally accepted that the two piece badge is the correct one your comment does nothing to help and as usual it's posted after everyone else has put their opinion on the line.

If I was a newbie I'd look at the WM badge and think that's the correct badge. Look at the detail, the claws, scales, font, there's not really a lot of difference between the sliders other than the tip.
Old 21-03-21, 01:14 PM

Stephen,
When I replied there was absolutely no thought whatsoever in my mind that you were in anyway, a "new" or "newbie"" collector, you have been a member here for a number of years, as have I.
The two badges really are, unfortunately, completely different, as one is a poor fake, but, if it had been original you would certainly not expect that to be the case.
Both contemporary gilding metal and white metal had very similar characteristics that lent themselves very well indeed to really fine quality, as far as manufacturing badges and plates went.
The method of strike and pressures used differed during manufacture and clearly when you look at your two badges you can see the difference between old and new.
You would certainly expect an original white metal badge to be virtually identical to a gilding metal one, the dies used the quality of the strike and the metal, this is absent in the case of the wm example you show, also, in comparison with an original wm example with a slider, see attached, you can very clearly see that there is considerable difference there too.
You know, I always say to anyone who is not really sure, just ask yourself this, does it really look like an antique and if not, why not?
They are not rare, my advice would be to go for a lugged wm example although not to match your very fine gm badge, whish appears to have been shaped by it's original owner, expect the seventy five quid mark, perhaps a little less if you are really lucky, there was one dealer who recently had several examples at eye watering prices close to a couple of hundred quid!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Thank you Luke and Frank,

I had noticed they are different strikes, I believe made both in bras and W/M,

Noteably the feet are different configuration, glad that I have one positive example of this hard to find badge.

Luke do you have image of original W/m version for comparison.

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice it is nice to have support to rely upon,

Kind regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030606.jpg (55.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1030607.jpg (59.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-03-21, 08:01 PM

Frank
I took no offence what so ever I new my Brass badge to be legit.

I was asking re the W/M version I could not find images off an original.

The strike albeit of a different patten notably the feet position it is actually very nice to the eye and slider is well aged quite springy not at all like a modern fake badge

Obviously now I am aware of the fact that it should be a two part badge this is why I asked for advice.
50 Plus years of collecting does not make me an expert in any way and am always happy to learn new facts

Though the shaping of a badge for wear does not make it original I have mint out of the box ww1 items un shaped and unpolished as issued.
Good hunting all

Regards

Stephen
Old 24-03-21, 05:04 PM

Hello Stephen,
Well I just assumed you wanted to hear thoughts upon the wm badge and nothing more, I think you can now see the difference between the sliders and I would only add that a badge that has been very deliberately shaped, would, generally, be more likely to be an original.
Regards again, Frank

Quote:
Frank
I took no offence what so ever I new my Brass badge to be legit.

I was asking re the W/M version I could not find images off an original.

The strike albeit of a different patten notably the feet position it is actually very nice to the eye and slider is well aged quite springy not at all like a modern fake badge

Obviously now I am aware of the fact that it should be a two part badge this is why I asked for advice.
50 Plus years of collecting does not make me an expert in any way and am always happy to learn new facts

Though the shaping of a badge for wear does not make it original I have mint out of the box ww1 items un shaped and unpolished as issued.
Good hunting all

Regards

Stephen