British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-01-21, 06:14 PM

Default Welsh Guards SNCO Bullion Beret Badge

I recently came a cross a Facebook posts (see attached) showing that Welsh Guards SNCO (Sergeants & above) now wear a silver bullion leek on their khaki berets mounted on the guards' red/blue backing patch.

These appear to be similar in size and design to the gold bullion beret badges worn by Officers. Guardsman and JNCOs still wear the brown/khaki woven leeks.

Does anyone know when and why the silver bullion beret badge for SNCOs was introduced - perhaps to note the Regiment's centenary in 2015?

Thanks
Old 23-01-21, 07:55 PM

I note that the officer is an ACF officer , perhaps it’s a Cadet Force thing ?

PL
Old 23-01-21, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

I did not the Sgt's waistline looked a little unathletic.
Old 23-01-21, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I did not the Sgt's waistline looked a little unathletic.
I bet he couldn't do a BFT !!!!! Definitely a salad dodger.
Andy
Old 24-01-21, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford Knot View Post
I recently came a cross a Facebook posts (see attached) showing that Welsh Guards SNCO (Sergeants & above) now wear a silver bullion leek on their khaki berets mounted on the guards' red/blue backing patch.

These appear to be similar in size and design to the gold bullion beret badges worn by Officers. Guardsman and JNCOs still wear the brown/khaki woven leeks.

Does anyone know when and why the silver bullion beret badge for SNCOs was introduced - perhaps to note the Regiment's centenary in 2015?

Thanks
Probably in 2009 when the 'New Metal' piece came in.

Regards,

Chris
Old 24-01-21, 03:58 PM

Chris - Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 2009 'New Metal' piece?

On OC14's point, the image is of two ACF staff, but a search on the WG Facebook page shows a couple of Regular WG SNCO's receiving a similar badge on promotion from L/Sgt.

P
Old 24-01-21, 07:24 PM

Hi,

It is a silver (literally) badge worn by warrant officers while in parade dress order. Authorised by the Army Dress Committee back in 2009 and procured via regimental funds. Very tightly controlled with badges returned to stores following further promotion or retirement. I assume the bullion version as per this thread was authorised at the same time but I do not study these badges so can't be sure.

Along with the Cameronians WO + Sgts badge this badge is probably the hardest 'New Metal' cap badge to acquire. re: Cameronians - I only know of one in existance.

Regards,

Chris
Old 24-01-21, 07:33 PM

Chris,
Do you mean Cameronians? They disappeared in 1968?

Tim
Old 24-01-21, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Chris,
Do you mean Cameronians? They disappeared in 1968?

Tim
Hi Tim,

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Companies of 52nd Lowland (V) [Officer, Warrant Officer and Sergeant] re-sealed in 1995. Although I believe (for the main) existing badges were used I have seen one which is of a slightly thinner material that was lacquered as per official specification for this particular item.

Lacquer was to prevent damage while in stores and it was requested that these modern Cameronian were to be finished in this way. The badge in question came directly from stores too.

Modern badges can be interesting eh!

Chris
Old 24-01-21, 08:05 PM

Chris,
Obviously then you have documentary information and have seen one example of the badge.
However, is there any photographic evidence of former regimental cap badges actually being worn in 52nd Lowland (V)? They should surely have been wearing the (ex) Lowland Brigade cap badge.
On the other hand as you know the ACF continued to use the regimental patterns of badges no longer worn by regular or territorial units.

No doubt all will be revealed in your forthcoming book and we will have fewer mysteries to resolve!

Tim
Old 24-01-21, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Chris,
Obviously then you have documentary information and have seen one example of the badge.
However, is there any photographic evidence of former regimental cap badges actually being worn in 52nd Lowland (V)? They should surely have been wearing the (ex) Lowland Brigade cap badge.
On the other hand as you know the ACF continued to use the regimental patterns of badges no longer worn by regular or territorial units.

No doubt all will be revealed in your forthcoming book and we will have fewer mysteries to resolve!

Tim
Hi Tim,

I don't have any doco re: image of wearing of the badge as I only work from the official authorised position of badges and not on their actual issue as such official information is quite hard to find.

However, 52nd Lowland Regiment (Volunteers) [Soldiers] had the hybrid 'New Metal' badge of gilding metal and chrome Saltire with mount of anodised aluminium to wear. This was NSN 8455-99-974-1092 and pattern No. of 22920.

So, it seems there was an official demarcation between soldiers wearing the modern Lowland badge and officer, WO and Sgt of the Cameronian companies wearing the other (which had NSN of 8455-99-130-4041 and pattern No. of 30457).

If these badges were worn or even issued I have no idea but they were authorised in the 'New Metal' era and they certainly exist.

Regards,

Chris
Old 24-01-21, 10:35 PM

Chris,
Thanks. So if I have understood correctly NSN 8455-99-130-4041 and pattern No 30457 is the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) cap badge shown below which was originally made and issued in white metal, then silver anodised and resealed in 1995 in new metal?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9D22EA0-9C6B-45AC-9060-B0562B8FEB2A.jpeg (77.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 24-01-21, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Chris,
Thanks. So if I have understood correctly NSN 8455-99-130-4041 and pattern No 30457 is the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) cap badge shown below which was originally made and issued in white metal, then silver anodised and resealed in 1995 in new metal?

Tim
Not quite - you are showing the ranks version not the Officer, Warrant Officer and Sergeant version which never went through A/A as far as I know.

Also, no idea re: white metal version as never studied pre 1950 so can't comment on the NSN or pattern No. used by this badge.

Regards,

Chris
Old 25-01-21, 09:13 AM

Chris,
For completeness here is a sealed pattern (from 54Bty) for the other ranks Cameronians badge in anodised with NSN 8455-99-973-9922 Pattern No 19283 sealed 16/06/64. The white metal version was probably sealed before WW1.

It looks like following reorganisation of 52 Lowland Volunteers the remaining Cameronian D company of 52 Lowland existed for less than two years between 1995-1997 before being rebadged to KOSB. So although a new metal badge was requested and authorised the very small quantity needed and the limited time span meant it may not have been made, issued or worn. The likelihood is that original Cameronian badges in white metal or silver plated heirlooms were used?

Also added the JSP768 entry for the authorised badge you reference. The cost indicator may also be a factor in its existence and/or scarceness!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (66.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Cameronians JSP768.jpg (57.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 25-01-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 25-01-21, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that the a/a ones were worn by cadets up to the formation of the RRS. This is why they are so abundant.