British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-14, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Chay,
After looking at these photos, I have to say that I really don't like either badge, the Recce lacks any fine detail and does not look good on it's reverse and that is before you start to look at that "classic" slider.
But, neither the Recce or RE are rare badges.
Regards Frank
Frank ,
Are you saying you dont like the quality of the RE and the Recce or you think they are both fake?
Regards Chay
Old 09-03-14, 07:26 PM

Hello Chay,
I don't like either badge and I certainly would not buy them as original badges.
Regards Frank
Old 09-03-14, 07:36 PM

Chay-I only have the Great War badges book by Peter Doyle. Although he managed to get images of some scarce badges- I do not think 100% of the badges pictured are original. Being a member I expect he would admit this. It is though a very good effort and good value for money. I cannot comment on his Second World War book but I expect it is similar. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 09-03-14 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Good morning Kev
The photo in Peter Doyles and Chris Fosters book shows the thinnier spear end also ,
Regards Chay
The difference in thickness is seen in the 49th (West Riding) Recce badge in the book.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 09-03-14, 08:27 PM

Thankyou gentlemen,
The RE badge was the cap badge of a WW2 officer that served in Africa and France and Burma , 30 Corps and RWAFF , it was attatched to his beret and is as original as it gets , i have his military items from his estate ,
I think that you probably just have not seen this type before so it seems alien to you and thats why you just say fake , that being said as a new collector it has made me concerned about your opinions on the Recce cap badge !
Regards Chay
Old 09-03-14, 08:34 PM

Hello Chay,
What sort of beret are we talking about here and did the officer you refer to actually tell you he wore that particular badge on it during the war?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Thankyou gentlemen,
The RE badge was the cap badge of a WW2 officer that served in Africa and France and Burma , 30 Corps and RWAFF , it was attatched to his beret and is as original as it gets , i have his military items from his estate ,
I think that you probably just have not seen this type before so it seems alien to you and thats why you just say fake , that being said as a new collector it has made me concerned about your opinions on the Recce cap badge !
Regards Chay
Old 09-03-14, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Hello Chay,
What sort of beret are we talking about here and did the officer you refer to actually tell you he wore that particular badge on it during the war?
Regards Frank
Frank
The beret is sand coloured,
I have heard this a million times on other forums where people say oh he must have picked the fake up after the war etc , this does not apply here im affraid . Thats the last i will say on the matter it boring me now,
Regards Chay
Old 09-03-14, 10:22 PM

The Recce is a fake for the reasons posted , in particular the fact that the arrow shaft is the same thickness above and below the scroll.

As far as the RE badge is concerned, it looks very rough and is not an Officers badge, though the latter point is not a killer on its own, but not one I would be happy with.

The old saying, buy the item not the story springs to mind here.

If you don't like the opinions you have been given, it is best to just stop posting rather than make statements in the manner of your last post as that will be likely to lead to members not sharing with you their years of experience on any future questions you might have had. Just an observation.

Jerry
Old 09-03-14, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
The Recce is a fake for the reasons posted , in particular the fact that the arrow shaft is the same thickness above and below the scroll.
This is the opposite of what I have always understood. I always thought the arrow shaft should be the same thickness on a good badge.
Eddie
Old 10-03-14, 07:25 AM

I'm with Eddie on his thoughts on the spear end,I was always under the impression of thiner end = fake badge can someone in the know let us know
Gerard
Old 10-03-14, 07:26 AM

Ment arrow end not spear of course
Gerard
Old 10-03-14, 08:09 AM

Ah, happy to be wrong on this, but one I showed recently which was given the thumbs up has a thinner shaft below the scroll.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=37043

Maybe I have this wrong then and this feature is not a hard and fast rule either way.

Jerry
Old 10-03-14, 08:35 AM

Good morning Jerry,
If you just can't live with that badge, I will be happy to dispose of it for you!
Frank
Old 10-03-14, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Good morning Jerry,
If you just can't live with that badge, I will be happy to dispose of it for you!
Frank
Hi Frank,

I have no problem with it and I am happy to live with it.

It does appear to have a thinner shaft below the scroll but perhaps a shadow on the photo makes it look thinner below and it is in fact the same thickness all the way along, as a hands on look at it shows that in front it is the same thickness, but a thickening of the shaft towards the rear above the scroll creates the illusion that the lower part is thinner.

I'll get my coat or some new specs.

Jerry
Old 10-03-14, 09:14 AM

Would be happy to live with it!
Are you sure you would not prefer to send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Hi Frank,

I have no problem with it and I am happy to live with it.

It does appear to have a thinner shaft below the scroll but perhaps a shadow on the photo makes it look thinner below and it is in fact the same thickness all the way along, as a hands on look at it shows that in front it is the same thickness, but a thickening of the shaft towards the rear above the scroll creates the illusion that the lower part is thinner.

I'll get my coat or some new specs.