British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-11, 06:39 PM

Default LRV shoulder title

I have a white metal LRV shoulder title.
My Question is could this be Lancashire Rifle Volunteers ?
Someone will probably tell me that it is Lahore Railway Volunteers but any suggestion will be welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay stuff 547.jpg (90.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ebay stuff 552.jpg (27.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 17-03-11, 07:28 PM

Hi Bill, I think its unlikely to be a Rifle Volunteer title, Ray Westlakes "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" says the metal title was introduced in 1881 and the only Volunteer versions appearing in his book are the 3 row types, for example 3/V/DEVON, but I could be wrong.
Old 17-03-11, 08:09 PM

Hi Bill and Rob,
London Rifle Volunteers come to mind. I'm sure the London Regiment boffs would be able to advise.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 20-03-11, 10:44 AM

Every book I have on this subject (both contemporary and modern) refer to the Volunteers of Lancashire as LRV

I know there was Lanarkshire (LV) and London (I think London units would have had individual titles i.e. RB) but my enquiry was basically could it be a Indian Railway Volunteer unit.
Old 20-03-11, 11:25 AM

There were a few metal titles for Rifle Volunteers ( see Bloomer "Badges of the Highland and Lowland Regiments" page 119 for white metal 1st Dumbartonshire Rifle Volunteers title: DRV)

Most of the Lancashire Rifle Volunteers uniforms I have seen ( prior to conversion to Volunteer battalions ) have had embroidered titles with Lancashire usually abbreviated to "Lcs"

My opinion, and it is only an opinion, is that it is not a Lancashire Rifle Volunteers item and although I agree that in a lot of books LRV is often used as the abbreviation for Lancashire Rifle Volunteers, LRV could equally mean Lanarkshire or Leicestershire etc Rifle Volunteers.

I dont know if this link will work but it is about a similar query.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...&#entry1553742

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 20-03-11 at 02:19 PM.
Old 20-03-11, 01:50 PM

The Auxilliary Force India had a Lahore railway battalion, recruited from employees of the state railways, and Lucknow had a "Volunteer Rifle Corps". In fact the 1917 designations include:

Lakhimpur Volunteer Rifle Corps
Lucknow Rifles
Lucknow Volunteer Rifle Corps

However, all those titles disappeared in 1920, as smaller units were merged are redesignated for various reasons. So, unless it refers to that 3 year period and one assumes that the Lakhimpur and Lucknow rile units did not use the "Corps" part of their titles, it seems unlikely to be Indian.

My tuppence worth!
Peter

Last edited by peter monahan; 20-03-11 at 01:57 PM.