British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-11, 05:18 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default I'm sure I've seen this before but ??????

Hi Folks,

Can anyone enlighten me please ?? I'm sure I've seen this badge before but I just cannot place it ???

Thanks, as always, in advance.....

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me 113_AND_me 114.jpg (34.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 17-03-11, 05:29 PM

Warrant Officer Class 1
Conductor RAOC
Staff Sergeant Major (1st Class)
Master Gunner Class 1 with a gun below

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=6003

Send it for repair, I am sure you know someone who can do it!
Old 17-03-11, 05:56 PM

Cheers Marc,

The only bloke I know who can repair badges is a moaning old ' git ', I'm not sure I want to approach him.....

I didn't realise the fact but it will fit into my arm badge collection ( if I decide to continue with them ?? ), I also have a RA gun, pointing to the right, would the direction be significant ??

The actual badge was sent to me amongst some damaged bits and pieces by John ( Tinto ), so I will owe him my thanks too, he did say there were a couple of badges that might be worth repairing, top man me thinks......

So a big thanks for the info....

Dave.
Old 17-03-11, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
The only bloke I know who can repair badges is a moaning old ' git ', I'm not sure I want to approach him.....

I also have a RA gun, pointing to the right, would the direction be significant
Not him, his work is pants.

Yes, that will do, put red cloth behind both badges with a small edge or each individual badge.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 18-03-11, 12:46 PM

Thanks very much Marc,

I like the sound of Master Gunner better than Conductor and I do have the odd gun to use and in my arm badges it will go.

My sincerest apologies to anyone concerned but I had to ask what exactly a Conductor was ?? well I was never involved with any of the Services during my short Military career, so I literally did not know.....I do now.

Thanks again.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me 116.jpg (55.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 20-03-11, 02:05 PM

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The first known mention of Conductors is in the 1327 Statute of Westminster, when they are mentioned as the men whose job it was to conduct soldiers to places of assembly. The Conductor of Ordnance is mentioned in the records of the siege of Boulogne in 1544 and Conductors are mentioned several times in surviving records from the 17th century.

In 1776 they are described in Thomas Simes's book The Military Guide for Young Officers as assistants to the Commissary of Stores. The Land Transport Corps and the Military Stores Department of the 19th century both included Conductors in their strength.

On 11 January 1879, a Royal Warrant established Conductors of Supplies (in the Army Service Corps) and Conductors of Stores (in the Ordnance Store Branch) as Warrant Officers, ranking above all non-commissioned officers. In 1892, Conductors of Supplies were renamed Staff Sergeant Majors 1st Class, but Conductors of Stores remained in what in 1896 became the Army Ordnance Corps. Staff Sergeant Majors in the new corps were renamed Sub-Conductors. In February 1915, with the general introduction of warrant officers throughout the army, Conductors and Sub Conductors became Warrant Officers Class I. Sub-Conductors reverted to the appointment of Staff Sergeant Major in 1967, but the appointment of Conductor passed to the new Royal Logistic Corps in 1993."

I may be wrong, but wasn't one of the officers at Rourke's drift a Sub-Conductor of the Commissary department? The rank was quite popular at some points in its history, I suspect as a means of rewarding and acknowledging those senior NCOs who didn't quite make the grade as 'gentlemen' and so would not be commissioned into the officer's mess, doncherknow
Old 21-03-11, 05:56 PM

That individual would be be James Langley Dalton Peter. He was an Acting Asst Commissary (forerunner of the RASC/RCT). He was one of two people who were awarded the VC after the fact; 11 VCs' were awarded first and then two (incl Daltons) gazetted after. I can't say he was a Sub Conductor at the time but Mike 2817, who is a member of this site (lives in UK) is an acknowledged expert on the RAOC/RLC and if you PM him he will be able to confirm if Dalton was in fact a Sub Conductor at the time.

In addition, Davec2; Mike can probably point you in the right direction for a repairer of your Conductors badge. Hope this helps.

Cheers Al
Old 21-03-11, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive information pack gentlemen, I appreciate your time and as always, I have learned something new.....

My apologies to you soldier1, I also know someone who repairs badges and it's already been done, the photo of the reverse isn't very good ( flash at night ) but you will get the idea.....

Again thanks.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm Badges. 036.jpg (96.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Arm Badges. 037.jpg (93.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-03-11, 11:00 PM

No apologies nec Dave. Just trying to help. All should be aware that the appointment of Conductor RAOC/RLC is the senior non commissioned appointment in the British Army. It ranks above the Academy Sgt Maj at RMAS and all Master Gunners.
Should any of you be inclined; google RAOC onLine.com and scroll down to the forum; The Honourable and Ancient Appointment of Conductor. There
you will find a facinating history of the appointment and many heraldic badges
that I'm sure will tittilate your interest.
Sadly the appointment of Conductor RCOC was abolished upon integration of the CF in 68.

Cheers Al