British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-22, 06:52 PM

Default Wound Stripe information

Does anyone know if any records are available to the issue of the WW1 wound stripe to individual soldiers ? Thanks

Gerard
Old 21-02-22, 06:58 PM

Dunno if there are other reports or lists, but there are "Wounded" reports stating that an individual is entitled to wear one.
Old 26-02-22, 04:40 PM

I imagine it would be on an individual's service record.
Old 26-02-22, 04:50 PM

Being Wounded would be I'm not sure that the qualification / award of the wound stripe would be, I hav'nt seen such an entry re. the wound Stripe on Service Records of men noted as having been wounded.
Old 26-02-22, 05:50 PM

Thanks all, I was just trying to find out some information on my maternal grandfather who I know was gassed in WW1 and have just been given a photo of him I’d never seen and it shows a wound stripe, as I say I knew he’d been gassed and I’ve a picture of him with out the stripe so guessing taken before and I’ve a group picture with him in his Kitchener Blues which is really special to me as it’s showing them all with the then world famous singer Marie Lloyd ( her of “My Old Man said follow the van” fame ) also signed “ to my boys love Marie Lloyd “ and I’ve been searching to try & find any information on his wound ( gassed) place, time etc , unfortunately I’ve never been able to find his military records so I’m guessing it was one of those lost in the blitz of WW11 that damaged so many records so hence my original question but as has been eluded to there may not be any specific records kept in-depth in regards to WW1 wounds ?? I’ll keep the search going , one day hopefully.

Gerard
Old 26-02-22, 05:54 PM

Post or PM details, I'll carry out a quick, basic check for a wound report.
Old 26-02-22, 06:06 PM

Appreciate that Leigh, PM sent

Gerard
Old 26-02-22, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Being Wounded would be I'm not sure that the qualification / award of the wound stripe would be, I hav'nt seen such an entry re. the wound Stripe on Service Records of men noted as having been wounded.
The right to wear a wound stripe upon being wounded was not a given. An application had to be made to the respective Commanding Officer to wear the stripe. From this verification of a wound had to be made, and presumably there was some measure of injury as qualification. For example, surviving a bullet to the chest or shoulder probably would qualify, a slight nick on the hand from a bit of barbed wire, not. The severity of the wound, possibly the resultant treatment and convalescent time, and possibly even the opinion of the CO would determine the qualification to wear a wound stripe. As such, I suspect it was indeed, noted on service records, not least as I think there is a section to record injuries and medical treatment.
Old 26-02-22, 10:44 PM

As said, injuries etc are noted, I have not seen any entry relating to qualification for or award of the wound stripe, including for serious wounds.
Perhaps some records did bear such entries, I havnt seen any on records that I've researched concerning medals in my collection etc.