British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-16, 06:04 PM

Default Help medal lists

After the Stratford fair this morning, i popped into to see my parents(yes I do have some ,I didn't fall out of the sky).
My father ,ex RAPC asked the usual . "Have you bought any medals today ? " , he knows I don't collect them and have no interest in them. Well he showed me a folder and said have a read of this.

The sheets were from an archive relating to 39 Brigade in the First World War. There were 4 battalions within the Brigade ,all Midlands Regiments. A Warwicks, a Worcesters,a Gloucesters ,am not sure of the other. It went on to detail ,actions around Gallipoli and Kut in Turkey.

The final sheet had two images on,one relating to my Grandfather Pte R.Harvey who served in the 9th Worcesters ,regt number and the 2nd a medal card,which I presume again was to my Grandfather stating Croix De Guerre.

Is there a list anywhere so I can check that it relates to him ? Would he been allowed to wear it, as it wasn't a British medal ? Or was it an award to the whole Battalion ?
Old 30-10-16, 07:10 PM

Mike,

It might be possible to find out more about your Grandfathers service on Ancestry if you can give his Christian name and his number.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-10-16, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Mike,

It might be possible to find out more about your Grandfathers service on Ancestry if you can give his Christian name and his number.

P.B.
I think that is where it may have come from Peter,i will check with my father .
Old 30-10-16, 07:53 PM

Best of luck mike told you medals are interesting(will I have to wash my Mouth out)🙀 mentioned the M Word in a post😀.

Regards

Steve
Old 30-10-16, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Best of luck mike told you medals are interesting(will I have to wash my Mouth out)🙀 mentioned the M Word in a post😀.

Regards

Steve
Thanks Steve,i have a big bottle of Listerine .
Old 30-10-16, 08:05 PM

Here you go. It seems that he Died during the war. The use of the word Died implies a cause other than from direct military action.

Name: Richard Harvey. Birth Place: Northleach, Gloucestershire. Residence: Pershore, Worcestershire. Death Date: 20 May 1916. Death Place: Mesopotamia

Enlistment Place: Worcester. Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 9th Battalion. Regimental Number: 20905. Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: .Asiatic Theatres
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harvey.jpg (63.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 30-10-16, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Here you go. It seems that he Died during the war. The use of the word Died implies a cause other than from direct military action.

Name: Richard Harvey. Birth Place: Northleach, Gloucestershire. Residence: Pershore, Worcestershire. Death Date: 20 May 1916. Death Place: Mesopotamia

Enlistment Place: Worcester. Rank: Private. Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment. Battalion: 9th Battalion. Regimental Number: 20905. Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: .Asiatic Theatres
That's not him, he lived until around 1970 . First name Ron or Ronald. Ill see if I can get his number from my father.
But thank you for that.
Old 30-10-16, 08:18 PM

This is the medal index card for the only other R Harvey in the Worcestershire Regiment. This one doesn't appear to have served with the 9th battalion as he has a territorial service number.

There are only five Ronald Harveys, none in the Worcesters.

Ronald A Harvey Devonshire Regiment 45682.
Ronald George Harvey 2/1st Herts R.
Ronald M Harvey Machine Gun Corps 67167.
Ronald McP Harvey Royal Fusiliers, Labour Corps 322, 154124.
Ronald W Harvey Royal Engineers 519796, (T)2771
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harvey r.jpg (55.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 30-10-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 30-10-16, 08:22 PM

Let me speak to my dad,ill get his regt number.
Old 30-10-16, 08:30 PM

Apologies
Sidney Harvey is the name
Regtl Number 36434
Old 30-10-16, 08:54 PM

MIC shows entitled to pair.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”