British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-11, 02:09 PM

Default British UN Cloth badge Cyprus

Hi
I wonder if anyone can add any more info on this cloth badge which I believe to be for the British Battalion and for Cyprus. The badge is made of nylon and as someone who grew up in the 70's it has that kind of feel. What I would like to know is have I identifed it correctly, would it have been worn on the arm of a uniform and what date it is from.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UN.jpg (42.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg UN 1.jpg (51.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 20-03-11, 03:19 PM

Default British UN Cloth badge Cyprus

I have seen many UN patches from around the world but I have never seen this one. Possible it was one of the first made when UN troops entered Cyprus from 1964

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 20-03-11, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I have seen many UN patches from around the world but I have never seen this one. Possible it was one of the first made when UN troops entered Cyprus from 1964
Hi Jerry
I hadn't seen anything like this before and I tried searching the net but couldn't find anything similar so I thought that this would be the best place to see if anyone can shed light on it.
I really hope someone can help, would be great if an early badge.

Thanks

Rob
Old 20-03-11, 06:48 PM

Default UN BADGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
Hi
I wonder if anyone can add any more info on this cloth badge which I believe to be for the British Battalion and for Cyprus. The badge is made of nylon and as someone who grew up in the 70's it has that kind of feel. What I would like to know is have I identifed it correctly, would it have been worn on the arm of a uniform and what date it is from.

Thanks

Rob
Size please.
Old 20-03-11, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORISKANY View Post
Size please.
Hi
Sorry yes would have been useful info for identification.It measures 4 1/2" accross.

Cheers

Rob
Old 20-03-11, 11:25 PM

Default UN BADGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
Hi
Sorry yes would have been useful info for identification.It measures 4 1/2" accross.

Cheers

Rob
Same as my example. I was told that it was a tracksuit badge, however my informant may have been wrong. Perhaps a former UN British Battalion member will see this post and put us out of our misery.
Old 21-03-11, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORISKANY View Post
Same as my example. I was told that it was a tracksuit badge, however my informant may have been wrong. Perhaps a former UN British Battalion member will see this post and put us out of our misery.
Hi
Yes I could see why they thought of it as a track suit badge but would they really have manufactured a badge for such a small group?
Lets hope someone out there can come up with a definate answer.

Cheers

Rob
Old 21-03-11, 08:14 PM

Default UN BADGE

The local unit at the time could have had them made up by a local tailor.
When I was with UNFICYP in 1990 we had a very good tailor at Nicosia airport(UN HQ) who did a lot of work for us. I was Engr support in sector 2. He even made my tropical mess dress for me at a small cost.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-03-11, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
The local unit at the time could have had them made up by a local tailor.
When I was with UNFICYP in 1990 we had a very good tailor at Nicosia airport(UN HQ) who did a lot of work for us. I was Engr support in sector 2. He even made my tropical mess dress for me at a small cost.
Hi Jerry
I never thought about them being made locally, it was just with them being a nylon type material I thought the manafacturing process may have made them more of a mass production item.

Rob