British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-16, 01:39 PM

Default Royal Scots Greys OSD cap

One I bought that was missing its badge, so I purchased an officers Gilt and silver plate example for it which I think was correct for the cap at this period, from sometime after the reign of QEII started and before they were amalgamated in 1971 as it is marked hatters to the Queen. It has the correct bi metal regimental buttons and the crown piping mentioned below.

A feature unique to the regiment was the black crown piping in honour of the Tzar who was Colonel of the regiment at the time of his death in 1917.

Jerry
Old 07-01-16, 04:27 PM

Nice cap!

David
Old 07-01-16, 04:34 PM

Very nice indeed Jerry,

It displays beautifully, well done!

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 07-01-16, 10:59 PM

Thanks Roy and David. It was too nice a cap not to get but the badge was far more pricey to replace than I had expected. I have two other caps that need their badges replacing that I have not yet bitten the bullet and paid the asking price for them, though I still live in hope that I can find them a bit cheaper.

Jerry
Old 07-01-16, 11:44 PM

As others have said a beauty of a cap, congrats.

Jack
Old 09-01-16, 01:28 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Jerry

What a great hat, thanks for sharing, keep up the good work. we all do things slihtly differently, yours is obviously hats. Keep up the Gospel according to Jerry. And yes well worth spending the money to bring it back to life.

Regards

Phil.
Old 09-01-16, 09:31 AM

Thanks Jack and Phil.

I really like the badges and I have lots in display trays, but having them on the caps really does it for me. However they do take up a lot of room and I fully understand how only collecting the badges males a lot of sense, which is why I have both. There are a few caps I would really like to add to my collection, but those mostly fall into the very expensive category, WWII SAS & Para Berets for instance, along with forage/dress caps for a General and a Field marshal, though the latter would be less expensive. Great war trench caps and OSD caps are also on my wanted list but tend to start at the £350-400 mark so I have yet to tale the plunge.

Anyway, off to an antiques fair shortly so perhaps I'll get lucky and if not I can buy some caps.

Jerry
Old 09-01-16, 12:13 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

Hi Jerry

I know that you like slouch hats but I hope that a WW 1 Aussie Light Horse slouch is not on your wish list as they start at about AUS $5,000, And thats if you can find one in the first place.

Regards

Phil.
Old 09-01-16, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Jerry

I know that you like slouch hats but I hope that a WW 1 Aussie Light Horse slouch is not on your wish list as they start at about AUS $5,000, And thats if you can find one in the first place.

Regards

Phil.
Phil, any WWI or Boer war period would be on my wish list but I know they are very expensive so unless I chance upon one at a boot sale I doubt I will be adding one to my collection, as much as I would like one. WWI Aussie slouchies are seriously expensive which is probably only correct considering their age, desirability and uncommonness.

Never say never though!

Jerry

Tags
osd cap., royal scots greys