British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-16, 12:32 PM

Default Never say never !!!

Amazing some of things that you can see in photos of soldiers.

In the first picture a member of the Liverpool Scottish is wearing what looks like a white on khaki slip on title "KINGS " sewn on to the top of his sleeve.

In the second photo ( Thanks to Paul S. ) the right hand member of the Liverpool Scottish has a pair of collars which just consist of the title scroll, the white horses being missing.

I have a few more photos showing insignia which you would not expect to find which I will add later.

I would be most interested in seeing similar photos that other members might have in their collections.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (41.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg LS strange collars.jpg (58.5 KB, 87 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-05-16, 02:07 PM

2 pictures of Liverpool Officers wearing collar badges as cap badges but in both cases they are right ( as seen by the viewer ) facing collars.

Also a picture of an officer wearing a collar badge the wrong way round.

Somewhere I have a picture of a soldier in service dress wearing a collar badge in the middle of his shoulder strap but I cannot find it at the moment.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lieutenant William Hinmers M.C. 2 7th KLR.jpg (56.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2575.jpg (63.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2574.jpg (85.4 KB, 58 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-05-16, 02:26 PM

Peter,

Is that just carelessness on their part or is it some tradition of one or more of the battalions?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-05-16, 02:41 PM

Simon,

I am sure it is not a tradition, perhaps a temporary measure until they could get the correct badge.

In the case of the wrong facing collar I have assumed it was a newly commissioned Officer who was photographed before joining his battalion and having the mistake pointed out to him.

I think that in wartime sometimes soldiers wore whatever they could get their hands on. The tunic of the first Liverpool Scottish soldier in the first post is the worse example of an alteration to a tunic to make it look like a highland pattern tunic I have seen.

Peter

Old 04-05-16, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

I reckon its just been folded back. I read on the GWF that mid-war Scots were forbidden to re-tailor the tunic for kilts as they needed the same jacket for wear with trousers. Possibly he has the kilt for a photo for the family and has folded the jacket up to suit.
Old 04-05-16, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
The tunic of the first Liverpool Scottish soldier in the first post is the worse example of an alteration to a tunic to make it look like a highland pattern tunic I have seen.
Peter

It looks to me as it has been tucked-up.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 04-05-16, 03:02 PM

Alan/Graham,

That is exactly what he has done, just tucked up the bottom of the tunic.

The deadly looking machine guns in this photo deserve a second glance.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2576.jpg (69.8 KB, 61 views)

Old 04-05-16, 03:11 PM

A bit wooden.

Marc
Old 04-05-16, 03:18 PM

"Don't forget your stick Lieutenant".

" Rather, sir. Wouldn't want to face a machine gun without this "

P.B.

Old 04-05-16, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I reckon its just been folded back. I read on the GWF that mid-war Scots were forbidden to re-tailor the tunic for kilts as they needed the same jacket for wear with trousers. Possibly he has the kilt for a photo for the family and has folded the jacket up to suit.
scan0002.jpgscan0010.jpg
It's a popular misconception that First World War raised Scottish units, adopted the same pattern Service Dress as their regular colleagues, as generally kilts were not to be adopted for wartime service. The Tyneside Scottish, as seen attached, never adopted any form of 'highland' dress, apart from those serving with the Pipe Bands, but again we do occassionally see the odd one folding the standard pattern SD jacket back to give it that "highlander" look.
Old 10-05-16, 09:01 PM

Default Crewe and Nantwich Section, Liverpool Pals

Whilst I knew that the Liverpool Pals came from a much wider area than just the City of Liverpool, until I saw the attached photo with its caption I had never heard of, or seen a reference to a "Crewe and Nantwich Section" of the Liverpool Pals before.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C and N Pals.jpg (72.1 KB, 19 views)