British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-10, 07:01 AM
Former Member

Default Canadian? Grenadier Guards Badge

Gentlemen,
a bit of a research project for the weekend! This Standard Grenadier Guards Pattern Grenade looks British from the front, but has brass lugs/rings/loops which leads me to think that it is of Canadian Manufacture?

It was purchased in 1977 from a "Relic" dealer at Mount Kamel, close to Mesen Ridge in Belgium. I have no doubt to suspect that it is not a WW1 Relic. However does anyone know which Canadian units served at Mesen Ridge during WW1? If so any Grenadier units?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4366.jpg (46.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4367.jpg (49.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 25-06-10, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Andy, There were only two grenadier regiments in the Canadian Corps (as opposed to the Canadian Expeditionary Force). They were the 78th Bn Winnipeg Grenadiers and the 87th Bn Canadian Grenadier Guards. Both of these units had distinctive cap badges, with designs on the ball of the grenade. At this point in time, neither has been documented as wearing a plain ball pattern grenade badge.
The badge illustrated appears to be the Winnipeg Grenadiers post WW1 badge. It was authorized in 1922, and is very common.
Old 06-03-12, 05:01 AM

Looks like a regular Grenadier Guards badge to me, though the lugs are an older style, have some with brass lugs as well as copper these lugs are not typical of CEF badges.
Old 06-03-12, 12:14 PM

Yes i would say Grenadier Guards (British).