British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-11, 01:39 PM

Default HLI of Canada cloth shoulder title British made.

Hello,

This is an original cloth shoulder title for the Highland Light Infantry of Canada. It is obviously British made and in my opinion made during WW2 . This shape is not common for a HLI of Cda title and it could be an officer quality variation. Does someone can tell me more about this oddity please?
Thanks for any help. J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001_3431.jpg (66.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002_3432.jpg (61.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 15-10-11, 04:40 PM

Default HLI

Interesting insignia. I wonder if it could be a reunion piece. It appears post SWW to me.
I will put Bill A. onto it

James
Old 15-10-11, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

This title shows up once and awhile. However, the provenance has not been established. It was not likely worn by the HLI of C on active service. They designed and acquired their first issue of titles in Canada in 1941. The CO of 9th Bde controlled the design and allowed the infantry battalions to pick only one of two shapes for their titles. These were the arched arc, like the HLI wore, or a "T" shaped arc, like the NNSH and Glengarrians. These were officially approved and sealed as patterns. Anything that deviated from that pattern would not be purchased by CMHQ or NDHQ.