British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-11, 03:10 AM

Default 1885-1905 Canadian button ID Needed

For all you Victorian Button Experts out there.....Recently found this photo by J Harvey 164 Queen St. Fredericton N.B. at a flea market in Brunswick Maine. I,m not familiar with these buttons.They seem regimental and the soldier is wearing the pocket less tunic consistent with the 1885-1905 period. Any ideas?

Old 06-10-11, 08:01 PM

Default 1885-1905 Canadian Button ID.......

Michael:
The buttons on the tunic are to the Infantry School Corps.
Although the photo details leave a lot to be desired, the button description is as follows:
An Imperial Crown above a circular buckled belt. Within the belt is depicted a sideways beaver. On the belt are the words "Infantry School Corps". Below the belt is a ribbon bearing the words "Pro Patria".
It makes sense to me that the individual in the photo was a member of this Corps, because this corps was back around 1885 based in Fredericton N.B., was it not?
By the way, this button is not illustrated in Smylies` button book, but I have an example of this button in my own collection.
Hope this helps!
John S.
Old 06-10-11, 08:30 PM

Default ISC

Makes total sense John. Are there multiple types of ISC buttons?.. I,m sure I have one or two but I think they are more of a star type badge in the centre of the button. will try and dig them out.I have some photos of "D" Co. ISC here at Wolesley Barracks in London wearing the identicle jacket with a small "D" on the Epaulette, but of course the buttons cannot be identified. Thanks so much for the help,cheers,Mike.
Old 06-10-11, 08:34 PM

Default some detective I turned out to be...

Yes, now that I check "A" Company was at Fredericton...