British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-11, 12:34 AM

Default Some Patricia insignia

Looking for some feedback on a couple of PPCLI items. The first is a First World War vintage cap badge that I don't necessarily think is a copy but it doesn't seem to be as finely detailed as my other badges and others that I have seen so I thought I would seek some opinions.

Second is a couple of shoulder titles embroidered on felt. The issue is that the letters almost look home done and are not the same uniform type font that I would normally expect to see. The thing is that this type of title seems to be available all over the place right now and up to about 7 months ago I had never seen this variation before. Anyone know what the source is for these?

Old 22-09-11, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, The cap badge looks okay. How long are the lugs on that badge?
The titles also appear to be okay. There are many different patterns of the PPCLI title, and these are machine embroidered (from the detail on the back). What is the backing material? Have you uv tested them? Burn test?
Old 22-09-11, 06:59 PM

The lugs are about 11mm on the badge.

Surprisingly, the titles pass the UV test and when I burned a thread on the back it burnt quickly but didn't melt. The backing material is felt. I guess my issue with these is that they are not finished professionally. The titles look like they have been cut out by hand and the lettering is not the standard font. Perhaps these come from a rejected purchase order or something. That would explain why there are so many available and all in unissued condition.

Last edited by Infanteer; 23-09-11 at 12:26 AM.
Old 23-09-11, 04:00 AM

Beg to differ, but to me the cap badge looks like one of the current repros out of England: same long lugs, same bright plumbing brass under black coating & artificial 'wear', and same bubbles and flaws from the casting. I'd need some pretty serious convincing that this is a good badge.
Old 23-09-11, 05:02 PM

That's what I was worried about... the badge did come out of England. The details just didn't seem to meet the standard that I would expect to see on an original badge. Oh well, it's been a long long time since I purchased a dud so I shouldn't be too upset about it.

Last edited by Infanteer; 23-09-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 23-09-11, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
That's what I was worried about... the badge did come out of England. The details just didn't seem to meet the standard that I would expect to see on an original badge. Oh well, it's been a long long time since I purchased a dud so I shouldn't be too upset about it.
If someone fed it to you through EBay, you should be able to feed it back to them rather than swallowing it. I think EBay has pretty much adopted a universal 30-day return policy for all sellers.
Old 24-09-11, 03:06 AM

Well, unfortunately I purchased it shortly before I left for Afghanistan and didn't give it much thought until I got home recently... so it's now been about 6 months....
Old 24-09-11, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks David. The list of characteristics / faults is an excellent evaluation of the badge.