British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-19, 01:53 AM

Default 75 Division WW1

Hi all,
I am looking for any information on cloth patches worn by the following five battalions:-
2/3 and 3/3 Gurkha Rifles - these could be coloured cloth geometric signs worn on the turn-up or puggaree of the Gurkha hat.
58 Vaughan's Rifles - no info.
123 Outram's Rifles - there is a picture of a sepoy of this bn on A E Haswell Miller's painting 'Types of the Indian Army' and shows him wearing a large cloth diamond on the right arm but the colour is hard to determine.
2/32 Sikh Pioneers - no info.
Thank you for your time.
Best regards,
Ken
Old 03-09-19, 08:01 AM

Hi Ken, the 3rd Gurkhas wore a triangular flash being 77mm high x 76 wide, in rifle green. These flashes were worn by all ranks on the Hat, Felt, Gurkha from early 1920's to 1947 and British Officers on the Wolseley Helmet and the Pith Helmet from the same dates. There is a possibility that different shapes may have been used ( possibly a square ) - but I haven't seen any evidence as to when/why or if it denoted another Battalion. Hope this helps Tim
Old 05-09-19, 01:05 AM

Hi Tim,
Thank you very much for that very useful information, I shall put it with the other information I have on the division.
Best regards,
Ken