British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-18, 09:01 PM

Default RCAF Crowns???

I would like to avail myself to the collective knowledge here regarding a couple of King's Crowns on RAF blue/grey cloth that until very recently I thought were Air Training Corps Cadet Warrant Officer and Air Training Corps Adult Warrant Officer (non RAF WO service).

Can anyone possibly enlighten me as to their identities???

The King's Crown backing is 60mm at it widest by 57mm at the highest with the badge itself being 46mm at the widest by 48mm from the top of the cross to the bottom of the cushion. The backing is a cream canvas.

The Crown/Wreath backing is 70mm at the widest by 56mm at its highest. The badge itself is 58mm at the very widest by 45mm from the top of the laurel leaf to the bottom of the stalk and the backing is a dark blue cotton material.

Any information would be gratefully received and may be moved on if positively identified as non-RAF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kings Crown.jpg (46.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Kings Crown and Wreath.jpg (60.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-05-18, 09:38 PM

Come on lads and lassies of Canada. Over 140 views and not one comment!!
Old 25-07-18, 11:41 PM

not Canadian, I would have thought your first guess on ATC being more correct.
Old 26-07-18, 01:14 AM

I think dragon116 has stated before that the Air Training Corps did not use an adult or cadet WO crown badge in the reign of GVI. Regards, Paul.
PS Can it be confirmed if adults not holding Ex RAF WO rank wore the same badge as a CWO from 1941? I would be very interested to see any dress regulations for the ATC regards badges for the 1940s-50s period. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=67403

Last edited by wardog; 26-07-18 at 01:30 AM.
Old 26-07-18, 09:56 AM

Here is the extract from AP1919, Third Edition, June 1951(Regulations for the Air Training Corps) amended to AL4 June 1956. At that time Adult WOs wore ATC Cap badge, buttons and rank badges (eagle in wreath). This changed in 1958 when the badges were changed to standard WO versions we see today (Cap badge, ATC collars and single QC Crown). The only RAF badge that could be worn was the full Royal Arms for those previously serving as a WO I. No other versions of WO badges was allowed. (WO II, CQMS etc.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATC WO Regs.jpg (104.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 26-07-18, 02:57 PM

Thanks Dave.
I take it the KC badge is not a pre war RAF WOII rank badge? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 26-07-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 26-07-18, 04:24 PM

No Paul, it is completely different and was worn on a black background. See attached pic for why we thought this crown is Canadian (1950s?)
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crowns question.jpg (38.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-09-18, 05:30 PM

unfortunately, I cannot find any specific pictures of that badge, but you compare it to other ATC badges, and they have that more blue/gray background.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lxIAA...VC/s-l1600.jpg

And they still use that wreath style to this day. Where as Canada, the wreath around the crown never looked like that.

Your best bet is to talk to some of the ATC collectors and they will probably provide the best clarification on it.