British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-05-16, 05:52 PM

Default Restoration & Research Project

A neglected and damaged Dorsetshire Regiment cap badge, which I picked up a little while ago at Bushey Fair. Decided to attempt a little restoration project and document each day's results.

Along the way, it became apparent that it might be possible to ID who the badge might have originally been issued to, and so with the help of forum member Tigerlily, presented here are the results.

At some point in th past, the badge had sustained significant trauma to the white-metal section on the obverse - upper sections of the two outer turrets of the castle being completely obliterated, with the upper section of the centre turret (just below the tablet) also very badly scarred. It appears to have been heavily scraped over a hard surface, causing extensive scratching, scoring the metal in some areas to the point of mutilation.

After five days, the badge is just about beginning to show signs of life, but there is still some way to go, though the extent of the damage sadly means it will never regain its former condition.

Day 1
Dors 1.jpgDors 2.jpg
Badge in pretty terrible condition. Lots of surface damage, a great deal of discolouration, and in a very sorry state altogether.

Dors 3.jpgDors 4.jpg
The start of Day 1, the badge begins a 24-hour vinegar-soak.

Day 2
Dors 5.jpg
After being immersed for 24 hours in white vinegar, the liquid has turned a pale-turquoise colour, and the badge beginning to show signs of detritus loosening.

Dors 6.jpgDors 7.jpg
Removed from vinegar, gently cleaned under running water with toothbrush and mild detergent, then dried off.

Dors 8.jpg
What appears to be a serial number emerges on slider, though virtually illegible at this stage.

Day 3
Dors 9.jpgDors 10.jpg
Soaked for a further 24 hours in white vinegar, then gently cleaned under running water with toothbrush and mild detergent and dried off. Serial number now much clearer and research into Army number commences.

Day 4
Dors 11.jpgDors 12.jpg
Having been soaked for a further 24 hours in white vinegar, gently cleaned under running water with toothbrush and mild detergent and dried off, the badge has its first polish with Brasso. Serial number research reveals identity of soldier.

Day 5
Dors 13.jpgDors 14.jpg
End of vinegar-soaks - overall damage much more apparent. Still some way to go; polishing to continue. Stay tuned!
Old 07-05-16, 05:52 PM

My minor contribution to the project:
Lance Corporal William Seaton 6623 Dorsetshire Regt, date of entry into theatre of war 12/9/14, served with the Dorsets until his discharge to reserves(Leinster Regt) on 10/1/16. Fully discharged on 14/2/19
Was awarded 1914 star with clasp, British and Victory Medal.

To 1916 the 1st Bn Dorsetshire Regiment were involved in action's at Mons, Pont Fixe, Ypres, Hill 60, Authuille Wood and Beaumont Hamel in the closing stages of the Somme Offensive.

Well done Jelly Tot you brought a badge back from the brink, you've done an incredible job, proud of you lovely
Old 07-05-16, 05:57 PM

Just like to give a big thank you to Tigerlily, who toiled tirelessly long into the wee small hours researching this man. Super stuff, Lil. A great little joint project which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.
Old 07-05-16, 05:59 PM

You make a lovely couple
Brilliant the pair of you
Paul
Old 07-05-16, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Just like to give a big thank you to Tigerlily, who toiled tirelessly long into the wee small hours researching this man. Super stuff, Lil. A great little joint project which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.
Toiling into the wee small hours! it was the work of an evening and you know it!
Old 07-05-16, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
You make a lovely couple
Brilliant the pair of you
Paul
Paul your very cheeky, JT wouldn't be able to cope with me, I'd steal his badges
Old 07-05-16, 07:50 PM

Stirling work the pair of you.

An excellent project, next step, trace any surviving family.

Regards
Old 07-05-16, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Stirling work the pair of you.

An excellent project, next step, trace any surviving family.

Regards
Would love to pursue that. Any tips please, Brian?
Old 07-05-16, 09:36 PM

Congratulations on a great effort in restoring the badge. I appreciate these badges which have been there, especially when you can assign a soldier's name to it.

Cheers

John
Old 08-05-16, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Congratulations on a great effort in restoring the badge. I appreciate these badges which have been there, especially when you can assign a soldier's name to it.

Cheers

John
Thanks, John.

A little disappointed the badge's condition turned out to be so beaten up. A bit more work on removing the surface crud (chemically resistant unidentifiable deposits ) will make up somewhat for that. Nevertheless, the more rewarding aspect was definitely being able to assign it to L/Cpl Seaton.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 08-05-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 01:05 PM

Its a good combaty badge, don't knock it! It will be even more beautiful after further removal of CRUD. Your doing a great job, keep it up
(PS got another numbered badge today- desperate to start researching but have also started a bottle of wine so might hang back for now )
Old 08-05-16, 02:46 PM

I have a few King's Regt 1926 pattern badges with service numbers on them.
I know how to find a 1st WW service number - but how do I go about finding later numbers (probably 2nd WW) !?
Old 08-05-16, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I have a few King's Regt 1926 pattern badges with service numbers on them.
I know how to find a 1st WW service number - but how do I go about finding later numbers (probably 2nd WW) !?
That's the tricky part I'm afraid, google would be probably be your only friend in that instance, just on the off chance. If you have access to Ancestry you could try a punt there are a few record sets where you could get lucky but its a slim chance .
Old 08-05-16, 06:25 PM

Was Seaton the only man in a Dorsetshire Battalion to have that number? Regards, Paul.
Old 08-05-16, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Was Seaton the only man in a Dorsetshire Battalion to have that number? Regards, Paul.
Yes he was pretty straightforward. I would like to have pinned down a DOB as well but there were a number of likely suspects, so without extra detail that wasn't possible. Our feeling was, due to his date of entry into theatre of war and his discharge to reserves in 1916 he was most likely a pre war recruit. Would like to have had a bit more detail but with only MIC's and rolls and a quite a few William Seaton's it would have been a bit of an uphill slog to nail civilian records.

Tags
dorsetshire, research, restoration