British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-08, 04:19 AM

Default West India Regt

Which period is this West India Regt badge from (with its presumably puggaree-length slider)? How is this unit different from the British West Indies Regt, which had a KC badge with a ship in the centre?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WI 002.jpg (94.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg WI 001.jpg (94.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 24-07-08, 07:20 PM

Lettman,

In 1958, with the foundation of the Federation of the West Indies, it was decided to raise the West India Regiment once again. Initially, the 1st Battalion was formed from the nucleus of the Jamaica Regiment. The 2nd and 3rd battalions were also formed by 1960. However, the Federation was short lived, and the regiment again disbanded by 1962, with the constituent battalions becoming the infantry regiments of the two largest islands:

1st Battalion - 1st Battalion, Jamaica Regiment
2nd Battalion - 1st Battalion, Trinidad and Tobago Regiment
3rd Battalion - disbanded

The West Indies or India Regt. badge was made in all brass, bimetal, and bronze for officers, and anodised as well. Sliders and lugs. I have seen a few with brooch pins.

The British West Indies Regiment-in 1915 a second West Indies regiment was formed from Caribbean volunteers who had made their way to Britain. Initially, these volunteers were drafted into a variety of units within the British Army, but in 1915 it was decided to group them together into a single regiment, named the British West Indies Regiment.

Initially the new regiment was made up of men from:

British Guiana - A Company
Trinidad - B Company
Trinidad and St Vincent - C Company
Grenada and Barbados - D Company
High wastage led to further drafts being required from Jamaica, British Honduras and Barbados before the regiment was able to begin training. The regiment totalled twelve battalions, and engaged in a number of roles and theatres. The British West Indies Regiment was finally disbanded in 1921.

This badge, with the ship,crown and wreath was made in brass and officers in bronze. The officer's having blades. Or's had sliders. I have never seen lugs on these. Maybe someone else knows.

Flatdog
Old 25-07-08, 12:33 AM

Thanks, Flatdog, for the detailed information here -- terrific stuff!
So the badge I've illustrated is post-1958? It seems older than that, both in manufacture and condition. I also have an a/a Jamaica Defence Force badge and the two seem to belong to different eras altogether!
Old 25-07-08, 06:09 PM

Lettman,

While I'm certainly no expert in this regard, I've looked a bit further into the West India Regt.

Formed from the amalgamation of the 1st and 2nd West India Regiments in 1888 and consisted of the 1st and 2nd Battalions.
3rd Battalion raised in 1897.
3rd battalion disbanded in 1904.
2nd Battalion disbanded in 1920.
Regiment disbanded in 1927.
Reformed in 1958 when the Federation of the West Indies was formed (mainly from the Jamaican Defence Force).
Disbanded in 1962 when the Federation was disolved.

Your badge looks closer to the 50's than the 20's. I have not seen much evidence about the badges, just what I pick up here and there. The history of the West India Regiments, are scarce, and the current Defence Forces, other than Jamaica are not very approachable for information.

My WI badge is solid brass with a distinctive copper like colour, no silver centrepiece. My anodised is gold and silver. Both are maker marked. I have seen one 1920's Officer badge with a brooch fitting. Bronze with silver centrepiece. I don't have access to a camera so I can't put up a photo for you.

Details on these badges run the gamut of fine crisp detail to seemingly rubbed, even though they were never issued (Bad dies?). It wouldn't surprise me if you came across a sand cast one. I don't think they were copies either, not enough interest in the market.

Flatdog
Old 27-07-08, 07:32 AM

Another very useful reply, Flatdog -- much thanks. This kind of information seems almost unobtainable from 'general' badge sources.
Old 29-07-08, 10:51 PM

Yesterday I found in Cox's 'Regimental Badges of the British Empire 1914-18' the following info concerning the the badge I have:
'in bronze for officers and in bimetal for soldiers. It is found in both solid and voided patterns'
The illustration in the book is exactly like mine, which leads me to believe that mine is an older badge. This would certainly tally with the general WW1 'feel' of mine.
Old 10-11-08, 04:25 PM

Hi Lettman & Flatdog, What do you think of these 2 badges, any thoughts appreciated !! Regards Wilf. The bronze coloured one has lugs, the one with blue enamel has a brooch pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img714.jpg (68.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg img713.jpg (81.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-11-08, 07:03 PM
peter616

Here are the the 1850s badges of the
1st WEST INDIA REGIMENT BULLON BADGE
2nd WEST INDIA REGIMENT BULLON BADGE

1st WEST INDIA REGIMENT BULLON BADGE sold 125.jpg

2nd WEST INDIA REGIMENT BULLON BADGE.jpg
Old 17-11-08, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Hi Lettman & Flatdog, What do you think of these 2 badges, any thoughts appreciated !! Regards Wilf. The bronze coloured one has lugs, the one with blue enamel has a brooch pin.
Hi Orasot -- apologies for the late reply. I'm afraid I have no more info concerning the WI badge other than what I've already posted. I'll have to leave it to those more knowledgeable to comment on your two rather nice looking badges.