British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-13, 10:53 AM

Here's some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3153.jpg (41.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3154.jpg (23.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3157.jpg (66.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3158.jpg (34.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-06-13, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfriedline View Post
Here's some pics
Hi Siegfried,

Nice images!

I'm not sure that the badge is actually anodised though but more likely made in the more modern metals currently used to make British Army cap badges.

Looking at the flat feet on the lugs I would say that the badge was made either by Firmin or another company - TKS perhaps?

Also, there is an absence of solder material between the lugs and badge body which tend to suggest the badge is not of aluminium hence not anodised aluminium or 'staybrite'.

Nice badge though and I would have thought very collectable for modern day badge collectors.

Many Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 20-08-19, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

This is am example of the anodised, but not aluminium, cap badges that have been attributed as staybrite and consequently appeared in P Taylor's line-drawing pamphlet.

I have also had in my hands a couple of other OTC badges made in the same way. It's also the same as the anodised 5/6 Staffs TA badge (also not aluminium).

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perse.jpg (83.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg perse2.jpg (63.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 20-08-19, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris

This is am example of the anodised, but not aluminium, cap badges that have been attributed as staybrite and consequently appeared in P Taylor's line-drawing pamphlet.

I have also had in my hands a couple of other OTC badges made in the same way. It's also the same as the anodised 5/6 Staffs TA badge (also not aluminium).

Alan
Hi Alan,

I would be surprised if they had been anodised as aluminium is the medium most associated with the anodic process. However, I may be wrong. Here is a good link to anodising and the metals used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

The metals noted are not, apart form aluminium, those used in the badge making process. Zink is the exception and was commonly used in German combat and qualification awards from about 1943 to 1945 as other previously used metals were need for the war effort and zink was plentiful.

Getting back to your badge - it looks like a modern plated piece possibly over gilding metal, nickle silver, brass etc? However, looking at the lugs as an indication of manufacturer and date I would say it is possibly Firmin from A/A era with sweeping feet and round wire - see page 85, lug 2.1 of book.

Peter Taylors book is 'interesting' and many such badges such as the one you have may have ended up there.

The 5th/6th Battn Staffs TA badge was under contract to be manufactured in A/A but was knocked back quite a few times by the Garter King of Arms and the contract cancelled before any were made. Any such badge therefore made in A/A has to be viewed, in my opinion, as dubious although there are images on the forum of this badge being worn in material unknown.

A modern 'New Metal' CCF cap badge that was actually authorised by the Army Dress Committee (the only one I know either in A/A or 'New Metal') was the cap badge of the Bromsgrove School CCF. It is a quality piece made by Selcraft (UK) Limited of Malvern. It really is first class. Authorisation was in 1997 and purchase came from school funds hence no NSN/pattern No.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 20-08-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 21-08-19, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Chris

Alan
The Staffs badge was anodised on Zinc and is really heavy. Much more than a new metal badge let alone aluminium.
Old 21-08-19, 07:10 AM

I have positive evidence that St Benedicts does exist in a/a . I've handled the badge and am 100% certain its correct.

A little more on Alan's post on St Edmund's CCF. There are lugged examples with a "CCF" scroll and also an "OTC" scroll. An example of the badge with an unmarked slider also exists. These are far more modern and made from a much thicker gauge of aluminium. I suspect these were made by Shaw Munster.
Old 21-08-19, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The Staffs badge was anodised on Zinc and is really heavy. Much more than a new metal badge let alone aluminium.
Hi Mike,

All anodised means is oxidised. Not sure how zink is coloured (German WWII zink badges were usually plated with the plating repelled by the zink over time). The Staffs badge may well have been zink and could have been coloured by dye as per A/A badges or plated as per modern ones - I have no idea?

Aluminium is anodised (oxidised) in its natural state as soon as it is refined and exposed to air. The badge manufacturers simply increased the natural thickness of an anodic crust to the aluminium to provide a hardened crust to the aluminium metal to protect it. Therefore, anodising has absolutely nothing to do with colouring the aluminium metal.

Aluminium oxide or if you prefer anodised aluminium, is also very porous thus allowing it to take up the colour dye used to give the badge its colour as we see in A/A badges.

So 'staybrite' cap badges were anodised to:

a) provided a protecting crust to the aluminium
b) provide a medium that allowed the badges to be coloured by a liquid dye.

Regards,

Chris
Old 23-09-22, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Sir Roger's Manwood CCF

A badge that I did not know existed - not a/a but anodised base metal. Was gold but has been worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2566 (1).jpg (65.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2565.jpg (66.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 24-09-22, 10:30 AM

Default Mill Hill

Gilt and anodised versions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220924_112508.jpg (39.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220924_112527.jpg (26.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220924_112235.jpg (45.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-09-22, 11:20 AM

Default St Lawrence

Cap badge is gilt metal with north and south lugs
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220924_121506.jpg (73.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220924_121514.jpg (52.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 24-09-22, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobanodised View Post
Gilt and anodised versions
A rare beast in anodised
Old 29-12-23, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I emailed the CCF some years ago and was told that the brass OTC one was worn from 1935 by the OTC. In WW2 the JTC wore the OTC badge in brass. The school badge was then adopted by the CCF and then changed to the a/a version.

That in turn was replaced by the RRF a/a cap badge in 1998 which they wear to this day.

The gilt ones have appeared in recent years in quite large numbers and all in unused condition. Make of that what you will be I don't have on in my CCF collection and won't be adding one to it unless one turns up for less than a fiver!

Last edited by Alan O; 29-12-23 at 06:22 PM.
Old 29-12-23, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I emailed the CCF some years ago and was told that the brass OTC one was worn from 1935 by the OTC. In WW2 the JTC wore the OTC badge in brass. The school badge was finally by the CCF wearing the a/a version.

That in turn was replaced by the RRF a/a cap badge in 1998 which they wear to this day. The gilt ones have appeared in recent years in quite large numbers and all in unused condition. Make of that what you will be I don't have on in my CCF collection and won't be adding one to it unless one turns up for less than a fiver!
Alan

not doubting your sources but I worked with St Lawrence between 2005 and 2010 and they were still wearing the school badge and not the RRF badge at that time (it was a "new metal" badge and not anodised)

Paul
Old 29-12-23, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Paul

I was talking about Mill Hill not St Lawrence. My apologies for not being clearer as I was replying to Mike's email above.

Alan
Old 29-12-23, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Paul

I was talking about Mill Hill not St Lawrence. My apologies for not being clearer as I was replying to Mike's email above.

Alan
Makes sense now !

Paul