British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-12, 10:14 AM

Default "British Resistance" Auxiliary Unit Titles

Very rare and seldom encountered Auxiliary Unit Titles. I am posting two that belong to me, 201 and 203, both I am reasonably confident are originals, along with an original "Stand Down" Lapel Badge. Also another pair of un-cut 203 Titles, that do not belong to me, also with an original "Stand Down" Lapel Badge. It is this pair of un-cut 203 that Titles I am most unsure about. A year or so back I bought a similar pair myself, these came from a fellow who reenacts the Auxiliary Units and believe a quantity was made for them. Whilst they are very well made there are slight differences between them and original examples. Whilst it may not be impossible to find an original pair of un-cut Titles, my personal view is that it would be very unlikely. I would welcome opinions about this and realize that this is quite specialized, but hopefully Forum Members may have some knowledge they could share about them. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUX1.JPG (56.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg img5823r.jpg (48.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 28-05-12, 10:42 AM

Default Aux Unit Titles

I would have no problem with the uncut pair of 203 titles. If you would like further details please PM me.

Postwarden.
Old 28-05-12, 05:15 PM

Nice enamel badge, very rare, there are repro's of the unit numbers floating around and I'm a touch sceptical on the uncut ones, I believe divpatch makes them perhaps acquire a pair of theirs £12 IIRC, might be good to compare

Tom
Old 28-05-12, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the lead Tom, I have sent divpatch an inquiry, also have ordered an un-cut pair of 203 Numerals from Monty's Locker. When I receive some of the replicas I will post them for comparison. I have been trying to find my replica 202 Numerals to post, but have put them somewhere or other and not able to lay my hands on them right now. If anyone has 201,202 or 203 Numerals, original or replicas, please post them on this thread. Many thanks, Clive.
Old 28-05-12, 09:40 PM

No worries, I only have the enamel badge I'd watermark those photo's as mine have been stolen and used without my permission elsewhere.... :/

Tom
Old 29-05-12, 02:00 PM

I will have a think about watermarking my images Tom. There are many excellent images on this Forum, including some rare and very scarce items, most do not seem to be watermarked. I guess there are mixed views about this. Regards, Clive.

PS: Forum Members, please post images of any Aux Unit 201, 202 and 203 Numerals, originals or reproductions.
Old 30-05-12, 11:45 AM

The pair of reproduction 203 Numerals arrived this morning from Monty's Locker, though somewhat disappointing, but no problem, also remarkably quick and efficient service. Wrong material, wrong font and wrong color. I have other avenues to pursue and hopefully "better" examples in the future. I am still convinced that the un-cut 203 pair I posted are very good copies, just have to prove it. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUX Repro1.jpg (52.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg AUX Repro2.jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-07-12, 05:56 PM

The un-cut pair of 203 Numerals (not mine) have been returned to the seller for an agreed refund. Recent, but very good copies. I have since managed to source 201, 202 and 203 Numerals, image attached, that are some of the best reproductions I have seen. It is good to note that they have "reproduction" stamped on the backs and could never be passed on as originals. This was not always so, hence the problem with the 203 un-cut pair. I plan to use my reproduction sets for a future Auxiliary Unit display. In this day and age it is good to have as much knowledge as possible before spending hard-earned cash on Special Force-Unit Insignia (or anything else for that matter) that may turn out not be genuine or authentic. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4339.JPG (82.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-07-12, 06:26 PM

Hello Clive,

Thank you for your efforts on this topic. I read with interest all the posts and appreciate all the comments and of course you willingness to pursue this. I am also grateful to the maker of the reproductions for printing this one the reverse, if only more makers or reproduction material would be so conscientious.

Best wishes, Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 16-07-12, 03:36 AM

Hello Clive, Would it be possible to reveal who the source of your reproduction numbered Aux Unit patches is? Thanks, Alan
Old 16-07-12, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
Very rare and seldom encountered Auxiliary Unit Titles. I am posting two that belong to me, 201 and 203, both I am reasonably confident are originals, along with an original "Stand Down" Lapel Badge. Also another pair of un-cut 203 Titles, that do not belong to me, also with an original "Stand Down" Lapel Badge. It is this pair of un-cut 203 that Titles I am most unsure about. A year or so back I bought a similar pair myself, these came from a fellow who reenacts the Auxiliary Units and believe a quantity was made for them. Whilst they are very well made there are slight differences between them and original examples. Whilst it may not be impossible to find an original pair of un-cut Titles, my personal view is that it would be very unlikely. I would welcome opinions about this and realize that this is quite specialized, but hopefully Forum Members may have some knowledge they could share about them. Regards, Clive.

Heres a good local book on the subject...STANDING UP TO HITLER by Adrian hoare ISBN 0 900616 50 4
Old 16-07-12, 09:30 AM
Banned

I used to be in touch with Geoff Bradford, a former Auxiliary. His brother Roy was also in the unit, before joining up and serving in France with 1st SAS alongside my uncle.
Old 16-07-12, 02:24 PM

I believe that the reproduction Numerals, Alan, were done for me as a favor, so really would not like to name him. If you know or can get in touch with the fellows who reenact the Aux Units, I am sure you will soon find him. The book that norfolk regt man recommended is certainly very good, there are quite a few nowadays. Perhaps a couple of the best are "With Britain in Mortal Danger" and "Churchill's Underground Army", both by John Warwicker. I may have met Geoff Bradford, SAS1, at a Aux Unit reunion held at Parham a few years ago. I have a picture-print in my study I bought at the Museum and had a few of the veterans attending sign. Not sure if the signature is his or not though. I believe his brother Roy was KIA whist serving in France. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEBradford2.jpg (11.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4534.jpg (54.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4535.JPG (54.8 KB, 24 views)