British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-18, 11:35 AM

Default Help needed on Royal Carnarvon Forage Cap Badge?

Hi Guys,
Recently picked up this badge that I have been told is a British Forage Cap badge. I cannot find any info on the Royal Carnarvon's and any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Old 16-09-18, 05:20 PM

Worn by the Royal Carnarvonshire Militia c.1854 according to Owen, but should be worn with a strung bugle horn above instead of a crown according to Owen. All in blackened brass.
Old 08-04-21, 05:04 PM

Does anyone know if this badge has been reproduced?

Thanks

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-04-21, 06:32 PM

I have seen repros of the Militia Scroll for many years but which Counties I cannot say.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-04-21, 07:19 PM

Peter,
Is your interest piqued as one went on eBay yesterday? I cant say that I've seen enough of them to this unit to consider them being widely faked, but like Simon I am aware that some have been.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 08-04-21, 09:22 PM

Judging by the appearance alone, I would say that is a good scroll.

CB
Old 08-04-21, 10:29 PM

I’m sure I commented on a Militia scroll badge fairly recently, it was a good cast copy only evident from some unevenness and flaws to the scrolls border and slight bobbling on the surface of a few letters.

Sadly I cannot find the thread or recall which Militia scroll it concerned.
Old 09-04-21, 03:05 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-04-21, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emties View Post
Hi Guys,
Recently picked up this badge that I have been told is a British Forage Cap badge. I cannot find any info on the Royal Carnarvon's and any help or assistance would be appreciated.
To come back on the original question.
I have some notes about these badges. They say that these so called "scroll badges" were worn on so called "pill box caps" (not Forage Caps).

The note says also that they were in use 1858 - 1874 (I assume that 1874 saw the end of the wearing of the pill box caps).

Like @41st, I understand that a stringed bugle was worn above them, except for the grenadier companies (that apparently still existed in such units at that time), who wore grenades.

Then about the unit itself.
I do not know much about the earlier history, but in 1833, when the Militia regiments got new precedence number (earlier they were renumbered by ballot many times), it became 56th, or Royal Carnarvon Rifles Regiment of Militia.
In 1860 it merged with the 61st, or Royal Anglesey Light Infantry Regiment of Militia into the 56th, or Royal Carnarvon and Anglesey Rifles Militia.
In 1876 they were split again and the Carnarvon reverted to their original designation.

The Childers reforms of 1881 made them 4th Battalion, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

In the 1908 reorganisation they were disbanded.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 10-04-21, 06:08 AM

Thanks Henk.

P.

Old 10-04-21, 07:49 AM

Only have one militia scroll example in my collection - to the Wiltshire Militia It is maker marked strangely on the front inside the scrolls at the top of the badge The item is the only one that I have/seen to this maker .Lugs are different to the item shown
Item Bosley's ex K Rawlings collection ,I purchased most of his Wiltshire militia items
Old 11-04-21, 07:36 PM

I would like to correct myself in post #9 above.

I found an article: ENGLISH MILITIA REGIMENTS, 1757-1935: THEIR BADGES AND BUTTONS by H.G. Parkyn, published in Journal of the Society for Army Historical research
Vol. 15, No. 60 (Winter, 1936), pp. 216-248 that the bugle was worn above the scroll by the Light Infantry regiments of the the Militia. Thus I assume that a crown was used by the others.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 14-05-21, 11:08 AM

Here are two more fake Militia badges, you can see from the uneven and poor reverse, jagged and broken edges plus uneven texture on the surface of the lettering that they’re cast copies.

King’s County

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363394616...QAAOSwyxVgnRec

Dublin County

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363394615....c100889.m5204

Whilst this cohort is not in the Marsh catalogue clearly someone else has done a line repro-ing these. Perspective buyers beware and look for the usual signs of cast copies, modern (in some cases footed loops) and artificial ageing.
Old 14-05-21, 11:16 AM

Additional pics as the forums pic size limit appears to have robbed them of their resolution and detail needed from the front.
Old 14-05-21, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I’m sure I commented on a Militia scroll badge fairly recently, it was a good cast copy only evident from some unevenness and flaws to the scrolls border and slight bobbling on the surface of a few letters.

Sadly I cannot find the thread or recall which Militia scroll it concerned.
Found it:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=81043

Another dodgy Dublin County. I have now also seen spurious Royal Carnarvon Militias.

Last edited by Luke H; 14-05-21 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Grammar