British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-11, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

The plastic backing changed to a primrose foam backing and was worn with the enamel badge a couple of years before amalgamation.
Old 06-11-11, 08:24 PM

I carefully noted details of that book on badge backings, and thinking "I'll have some of that", I logged on to Amazon to find they do have a copy on offer - at £231.36, so I guess I don't get the book and am now hoping we will hear a lot more on this thread about this really interesting subject.
Regards
John
Old 07-11-11, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I carefully noted details of that book on badge backings, and thinking "I'll have some of that", I logged on to Amazon to find they do have a copy on offer - at £231.36, so I guess I don't get the book and am now hoping we will hear a lot more on this thread about this really interesting subject.
Regards
John
Try AddAll.com, they have a couple of cheaper ones listed for sale.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 07-11-11, 01:17 AM

Hi Guys,

I cover the modern badge backings for A/A badges as at Dec 2004 in one of the appendices of my book.

34 units are covered.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-11-11, 11:34 PM

Nice informative post. For those that are interested the book: "Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the Britiah Army"
can be found here at $35.00 US. http://www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb455/index.html.
Please ignore this post,seems like I just got the last copy.Sorry Chaps.

Cheers Paul.
Old 09-11-11, 08:13 PM

The Cheshire Regiment has never worn a backing badge? In the regimental history is a picture of Lt Col Scott 7th Bn wearing a backing badge of the regimental colours cerice and buff in WW11. It may have been a one off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img170.jpg (47.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 21-11-11, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
The Cheshire Regiment has never worn a backing badge? In the regimental history is a picture of Lt Col Scott 7th Bn wearing a backing badge of the regimental colours cerice and buff in WW11. It may have been a one off.
I have a WW2 badge with similar backing that came with other Cheshire Regt items, it may have been only certain battalions though
Lee
Old 21-11-11, 10:32 PM

A very interesting thread.

The Green Howards started to wear a Grass Green square behind the badge in the early 1970's and I believe the Devon & Dorsets did the same. Are these regarded as being badge backings ?

Peter4447
Old 22-11-11, 09:48 PM

Yes they are. The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment wore the backing from formation in 1958, although I'm not sure they wore it with the Wessex Bde. badge. The green backing came from the Dorsetshire Regiment, who wore it officially from 1951.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 27-11-11, 02:31 PM

Default Irish green shamrock backing - which regiment please?

Hi all

Any clues on which irish regiment and the type of badge for this backing badge please. It is 7cm wide and 6.5cm tall. The two holes for lugs are approx 5cm apart. I thought it might be an arm badge backing for an irish piper badge but thoughts most welcome.

Ashantee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG9778.jpg (83.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9779.jpg (98.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-12-11, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashantee View Post
Hi all

Any clues on which irish regiment and the type of badge for this backing badge please. It is 7cm wide and 6.5cm tall. The two holes for lugs are approx 5cm apart. I thought it might be an arm badge backing for an irish piper badge but thoughts most welcome.

Ashantee
It depends on how old it is? The only regiment that I know to have worn a shamrock behind their cap badge was the Royal Munster Fusiliers but they were disbanded in 1922. Since then it has been worn as an arm badge but I am unaware of any unit copying the RMF, who had fought hard over some decades for the honour of wearing it in their head dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding-photo-350.jpg (35.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Archive_Officer_Royal_Munster_Fusiliers.jpg (36.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-12-11, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashantee View Post
Hi all

Ashantee
A couple of thoughts

Unlikely to be RMF, I would have expected a "hole" for a slider, not loops and not that backing.

Could this be for the Kilt of the Royal Irish Rangers or the Royal Irish Regiment? I do not have my copy of Robin Hodges book close to hand to check dimensions. Certainly the kilt badges (antecendet regiments) have loops but I cannot remember the orientations.

It may also be a civilian band or a re-enactors item. I know of a group reenacting the RMF with these backings and cap badges with loops

John
Old 06-12-11, 06:52 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
A couple of thoughts

Unlikely to be RMF, I would have expected a "hole" for a slider, not loops and not that backing.

Could this be for the Kilt of the Royal Irish Rangers or the Royal Irish Regiment? I do not have my copy of Robin Hodges book close to hand to check dimensions. Certainly the kilt badges (antecendet regiments) have loops but I cannot remember the orientations.

It may also be a civilian band or a re-enactors item. I know of a group reenacting the RMF with these backings and cap badges with loops

John
John, The one shown in RH's book on page 172 (The Royal Irish Regt) shows a shamrock on a blue backing - overall its 5.5cm x 5.75cm. I don't see anything like it against the Royal Irish Rangers on page 409.
RH has it down as a TRF. And after having a close look at the one posted and the one in RH's book, the shamrock top leaf on the one posted is much flatter, whereas 'RH's one' shamrock leaves are the same size.
David

Last edited by wright241; 06-12-11 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-12-11, 10:01 PM

Default Royal Irish TRF and Helmet Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
John, The one shown in RH's book on page 172 (The Royal Irish Regt) shows a shamrock on a blue backing - overall its 5.5cm x 5.75cm. I don't see anything like it against the Royal Irish Rangers on page 409.
RH has it down as a TRF. And after having a close look at the one posted and the one in RH's book, the shamrock top leaf on the one posted is much flatter, whereas 'RH's one' shamrock leaves are the same size.
David
Hopefully not confusing matters but the badge shown on page 172 of "British Army Badges" by Lt Col Robin Hodges is a TRF. Although it appears to be a green shamrock on a blue background it is actually silk woven and on a black background (photo 1). There is also an embroidered merrowed edged version which was introduced in 2005 that is also worn on the helmet cover (photo 2 and 3).

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Irish.jpg (97.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Irish Regt Helmet TRF x.jpg (90.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Irish (2).jpg (94.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 23-12-11, 11:47 AM

Thanks to everybody who has responded on my shamrock backing. It is certainly feels old, especially the backing. I still favour the idea of a pipers badge of some description but will keep searching.

merry Xmas
Ashantee

Tags
badge backings