British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-22, 05:25 PM

Default Boot Sale Finds

Hi all,

I picked up these three from the boot sale this morning and was hoping for an opinion on them that is more professional than mine!

The 11th Hussars badge is the one I'm most concerned with, I found a post on the forum that mentions that pretty much any arm badge (which I think this one could be, it seems too big for a cap badge (it's about 6x5cm) and has N/S lugs) found in brass is a fake. It looks like a nice clean strike though, but I'm fairly new to the hobby and have bought fakes before, so I wouldn't people opinion's on it.

The Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry badge seems interesting, I think it's a collar badge (its about 32mm x 27mm) but it looks die-cast and has the Gaunt marking, plus a 'P' above the makers mark. The seller said it was silver but it has no hallmarks - I'm certain it's white metal. I've not seen another like it online, what do people think? If it's not a fake, does anyone have any ideas as to it's age? Plus, any ideas of the significance of the P?

Lastly, I'm fairly certain my York and Lancaster badge is fine, but I thought I'd share it anyway to make sure I've not bought another fake, or anyone had any ideas on it's rough age?

Many thanks for your time with these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11_Hussars.jpg (65.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Cornwall_Light_Infantry.jpg (67.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg York_and_Lancaster.jpg (67.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-07-22, 06:01 PM

With regard to the Y & L badge I would certainly accept it as genuine. WW1?
Old 09-07-22, 06:08 PM

Both the DCLI and Y&L badges look good to me.

The P indicates that the badge is (or was) silver plated, although it looks like some of the plating has worn away in places.
Old 09-07-22, 06:11 PM

I agree with ajc.
If you put gaunt mark in the search box you will find a recent thread on the same type of gaunt mark on your officers badge.
Chris
Old 09-07-22, 11:48 PM

The DCLI could be a collar or the small Officers cap badge that was worn in the latter years of the regiment. I will check the sizes out and let you know.
Old 10-07-22, 07:11 AM

Thank you for your replies everyone - I'm really glad to hear that the DCLI and the Y&L badges are good, I've had some bad luck recently buying badges so it's great to get confirmation on them.

On the DCLI badge, thank you AJC for the info on the P mark and Sapper for the heads up on the Gaunt Marks thread. I did see a thread on the small DCLI cap badges, so Mike if you could confirm if it's a cap or collar I'd really appreciate that.

Any ideas on the 11 Hussars badge? I've had a check on eBay and there are a lot of very similar ones listed, which I don't think is a good sign unfortunately.
Old 11-07-22, 12:19 AM

I believe the 11H arm badge is bad. It should be in silver or WM and the tone of the metal is not good either.

CB
Old 11-07-22, 09:20 PM

Thanks CB I appreciate that - it's the second Hussars badge I've bought that's no good unfortunately, here's hoping I'll be more lucky with my third