British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17-11-21, 07:18 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default South African mysteries

Hi All,
I think the RPR could be for Railway Pioneer Regiment, confirmation appreciated.
The smaller collar? badge has faint inscription in centre but hard to make out.
Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAmystery.jpg (23.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SAmysteryrev.jpg (106.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SAmysterydetail.jpg (61.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-11-21, 07:34 PM
Sonofacqms's Avatar
Sonofacqms Sonofacqms is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,307
Question SA badges

I think the smaller badge is an Orange Free State collar badge.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-11-21, 07:53 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I think the smaller badge is an Orange Free State collar badge.

Rob
Thanks, Rob. I've seen it now on other threads. Not sure when worn though.
Cheers, John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-11-21, 05:32 AM
Milmed's Avatar
Milmed Milmed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,563
Default

Orange Free State Artillery side cap badge. They did not have collar badges.

The other is Railway Pioneer Regiment. These are usually seen as the title RPR with a number above, but I have seen various others with miners tools arranged as part of the design. Probably privately done either during the Boer War or post war as a pin/brooch to be worn in mufti.

Steven
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-11-21, 06:23 AM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Orange Free State Artillery side cap badge. They did not have collar badges.

The other is Railway Pioneer Regiment. These are usually seen as the title RPR with a number above, but I have seen various others with miners tools arranged as part of the design. Probably privately done either during the Boer War or post war as a pin/brooch to be worn in mufti.

Steven
Hi Steven,
Thanks for the details. What period was the OFS badge?
The RPR badge is lugged which may indicate it was worn during the Boer War.
Regards,
John
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-11-21, 01:46 PM
Milmed's Avatar
Milmed Milmed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,563
Default

John,
Both Boer War period
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-11-21, 06:12 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
John,
Both Boer War period
Thanks for the info, Steven.
John
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-11-21, 09:10 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,505
Default

Very nice and very scarce indeed, the republic coat of arms is a British made example which is always nice to see, the RPR was part of the SAMIF and was originally raised in the Cape upon the 18th of December 1899, it expanded very considerably in 1901 and was disbanded after Vereeniging upon the 30th of June 1902in Johannesburg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi All,
I think the RPR could be for Railway Pioneer Regiment, confirmation appreciated.
The smaller collar? badge has faint inscription in centre but hard to make out.
Thanks, John
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19-11-21, 06:41 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Very nice and very scarce indeed, the republic coat of arms is a British made example which is always nice to see, the RPR was part of the SAMIF and was originally raised in the Cape upon the 18th of December 1899, it expanded very considerably in 1901 and was disbanded after Vereeniging upon the 30th of June 1902in Johannesburg.
Hi Frank,
Thank you for your comments and interesting historical notes.
Cheers, John
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-11-21, 05:55 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,505
Default

They are very nice things, indeed, well done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Frank,
Thank you for your comments and interesting historical notes.
Cheers, John
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24-11-21, 10:48 PM
Brian Conyngham's Avatar
Brian Conyngham Brian Conyngham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Durban South Africa
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi All,
I think the RPR could be for Railway Pioneer Regiment, confirmation appreciated.
The smaller collar? badge has faint inscription in centre but hard to make out.
Thanks, John
Concur with Frank, nice items.

Brian
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.