British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-22, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
As a slight deviation from the topic, I am not aware of its origins but I have always thought that the name of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment sounds a little strange. By implication there is the suggestion that there was a disloyal North Lancashire Regiment that this regiment wanted to distance itself from.

I am guessing that there may have been a civil war connection and that the regiment remained loyal to the King or at least something similar.
It originates from their 2nd Bn which was the 81st Foot with a secondary title of "Loyal Lincoln Volunteers", having been raised by Col. Albermarle Bertie, 9th Earl of Lyndsey whose family motto was, "Loyaute m'oblige' (My Loyalty Compels Me).

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-10-22, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
It originates from their 2nd Bn which was the 81st Foot with a secondary title of "Loyal Lincoln Volunteers", having been raised by Col. Albermarle Bertie, 9th Earl of Lyndsey whose family motto was, "Loyaute m'oblige' (My Loyalty Compels Me).

regards
Many thanks for your informative reply to my post. Much appreciated and I have learnt something today.
Old 29-10-22, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
As a slight deviation from the topic, I am not aware of its origins but I have always thought that the name of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment sounds a little strange. By implication there is the suggestion that there was a disloyal North Lancashire Regiment that this regiment wanted to distance itself from.

I am guessing that there may have been a civil war connection and that the regiment remained loyal to the King or at least something similar.
Simon,
You need to go back pre 1881 when they were the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers
81st of Foot (2nd Bn LNL)
A title (Loyal) continued for their heritage
Paul
Old 01-11-22, 11:55 AM

I've attached several pics of the Loyal's silver/gilt officer's badges, as can be seen, the extension piece that the Royal Crest is fitted onto, is much the same as that found on the ORs badges.

I've also included some pics of the usual Loyals OSD badge, and what was described as an officers pagri badge. This second badge is noticeably larger, and I somehow don't think that it is just a makers variant, as yet, though, I've been unable to find another one like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13498.jpg (82.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13499.jpg (70.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13500.jpg (79.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13501.jpg (73.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13502.jpg (71.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13503.jpg (53.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-11-22, 08:01 AM

Lovely badges, thanks for showing them. I believe the S/G officer badges with a plain gilt rose & scroll are the earlier issue examples, and the ones with the red enameling on the rose shown in post #10 later issue.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-11-22, 01:38 PM

Hello Alex, Yes, I've seen the Loyals badges with red enamel, but I'm a bit reluctant to add any more to the five that I already have. My latest collection is, hopefully, going to be of all the KC infantry officers badges, there were 69 regiments, and as quite a few did change their badges during the KC period, there is already a lot of them without adding too many extras.

I only have 90, up to now, and if I can find all of them, the final collection is likely to be 200+. I've only added one repro badge, so far, (hopefully!) and this is a large Lincolnshire cap star. this is quite likely to be a long term gapfiller, as I'm not expecting the real thing to come my way, anytime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13528.jpg (48.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13529.jpg (60.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13530.jpg (39.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 03-11-22 at 04:16 PM.