British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-21, 04:57 PM

Default Naval badge

Hi,

Can anyone identify this one for me?

Apologies for the poor picture, but my PC is busted!

Badge is not as bright as the picture would suggest and is the same shade as a WRNS badge.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:36 PM.
Old 21-03-21, 05:29 PM

Women’s Royal Indian Naval Service (?)

Last edited by Warstone; 21-03-21 at 05:34 PM.
Old 21-03-21, 06:16 PM

Default Naval Badge

It looks like it's some of WRNS blazer badge. Probably one for a former officer. I've got several of them of different designs - some with a Naval Crown and some with a Royal Crown. Some have no crown at all. How big is it?

Pete
Old 21-03-21, 06:34 PM

Default Naval badge

I forgot to say this is not a Womens Royal Indian Naval Service badge. They wore the same cap badges as the WRNS.

They are actually quite interesting. They were only formed in 1944 and approximately 1/3 of the women who volunteered were British and 2/3 were Indian. Officers could be either British or Indian. See pictures below.

One interesting thing is that they wore a round curl on their cuff insignia, rather than the diamond worn by the WRNS.

The first picture shows two officers of the WRINS on a visit to the UK. Note the round curl on the sleeve lace and that the cap badge is the same as that worn by the WRNS.

The second picture shows two British and one Indian officer of the WRINS.

Sorry to wander off topic a bit!

Pete
Old 21-03-21, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
It looks like it's some of WRNS blazer badge. Probably one for a former officer. I've got several of them of different designs - some with a Naval Crown and some with a Royal Crown. Some have no crown at all. How big is it?

Pete
Same size as a normal naval officers cap badge. It is also padded like a cap badge and in my opinion is of fairly recent manufacture.