British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-16, 07:25 AM

Hello Chris,
Okay, many thanks, I will certainly have to buy some of those, I don't think I've even got a B'ham marked example either.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Frank,

Absolutely no idea as records relating to manufacture and issue are very rare.

As a collector I tend to go for early badges such as Timings, early slider Smith & Wright, Hughes, George Tye and Grove Manufacturing.

Looking at my list of manufactures for the Parachute Regt there appears to be an early Grove Manufacturing piece with a non A/A slider (see page 79*) - that would be the one to go for in my opinion if scarcity was a defining issue but they are quite scarce.

*Note: I am indebted to Colin Mathews who collated the list of anodised aluminium cap badges that were manufactured with non-anodised aluminium sliders.

Regards,

Chris
Old 26-04-16, 01:41 PM

My beret dated 1961 with Timings badge. Just to stick my nose in

Alli
Old 26-04-16, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

The Queens Regt as a large regt came into existence on 31 Dec 1966. Up to then the 4 regts were part of the Home Counties bde. This is rather a tight timetable for the re-badging to occur ad then for the badges to fail if it was the Gaunt Bham badges that the regt were complaining about. Could it be that the Queen's Bn, were wearing the HCB badge in 1966.

Last edited by Alan O; 26-04-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 26-04-16, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post

Alli
Just for the hell of it, a colleague on my team dug his old Para Regt badge out,
(Ulster circa 1980 ish) and its a Dowler Birmingham example.

All the best.

Bess
Old 26-04-16, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The Queens Regt as a large regt came into existence on 31 Dec 1966. Up to then the 4 regts were part of the Home Counties bde. This is rather a tight timetable for the re-badging to occur ad then for the badges to fail if it was the Gaunt Bham badges that the regt were complaining about. Could it be that the Queen's Bn, were wearing the HCB badge in 1966.
Hi Alan,
The 1 Queens website shows them in Oxford Bks, Munster in 1966 (knew it well actually in the 80's) presumably on re-badging to the Queens Regt from The Queens Royal Surrey Regt or as you say probably wearing the HCB badge. 1 Queens next sunshine posting after spending 1967 in Lingfield, was Bahrain in 1968 - so it wasn't they who complained about the badge. (assuming their website is correct on dates)

Presumably one of the remaining three Bn's were in a tropical/desert posting on re-badging to account for the quick failure of the badge slider. Aden perhaps? The Royal Sussex Regt (1st Bn) I believe appear on the ORBAT for Aden and they became 3 Queens - no idea if they were there in Jan 67 though or if the dates would fit at all - just a thought.

All very interesting research I think . . .

All the best gentlemen.

Bess
Old 26-04-16, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I can't prove that the Queens badge was worn in 1966 but I can show you this badge. It was no longer worn after Dec 1966 so was in all likelihood produced before hand as I can't see it worth Gaunt's while making it for the collectors market.

It's Gaunt Bham so predates Dec 1966. This support's Chris' view that Guant Bham was in use in 1966.

I also have North Irish badge badge that is Bham marked and should date from 1960-68.

It is possible that the first Queens badges were issued between their approval in Oct 1966 and the formal re-badging in Dec 1966 but even then it's tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (75.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 26-04-16 at 06:24 PM.
Old 26-04-16, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Alan,
The 1 Queens website shows them in Oxford Bks, Munster in 1966 (knew it well actually in the 80's) presumably on re-badging to the Queens Regt from The Queens Royal Surrey Regt or as you say probably wearing the HCB badge. 1 Queens next sunshine posting after spending 1967 in Lingfield, was Bahrain in 1968 - so it wasn't they who complained about the badge. (assuming their website is correct on dates)

Presumably one of the remaining three Bn's were in a tropical/desert posting on re-badging to account for the quick failure of the badge slider. Aden perhaps? The Royal Sussex Regt (1st Bn) I believe appear on the ORBAT for Aden and they became 3 Queens - no idea if they were there in Jan 67 though or if the dates would fit at all - just a thought.

All very interesting research I think . . .

All the best gentlemen.

Bess
The Queens Regiment came into being on the 31st December 1966.
The Queens own Buffs went to Borneo in 1966 for 6 months then back to Hong Kong, presumably to become 2 Queens at the end of the year. So that is a possibility.
Ive just looked at 3 Queens . Nothing sunny or sweaty until 1972 Cyprus.

On the Para badge, Bess`s colleagues beret shows that the Dowler badge was first made in 1980 or prior. It could well be that if the QM kept all the hand ins from discharges etc you could have ended up with a badge that was made years before hand. Escpecially, with the high turnover of people in the Paras.
Old 26-04-16, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

The MOD had stocks that were not issued for years after purchase so they may have ordered the badges in the 60s but not actually issued it to the QMs until the late 1970s.

When RAB came in the MOD had to sell off old stores having frugally hoarded them for years or pay for holding them. Stories abounded of wooden propellers and Morris staff car parts being sold off having been in storage for decades.
Old 26-04-16, 06:50 PM

Your nose is most welcome, as is that particular badge, certainly not something you see every day, where did you find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post

Alli
Old 26-04-16, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The MOD had stocks that were not issued for years after purchase so they may have ordered the badges in the 60s but not actually issued it to the QMs until the late 1970s.

When RAB came in the MOD had to sell off old stores having frugally hoarded them for years or pay for holding them. Stories abounded of wooden propellers and Morris staff car parts being sold off having been in storage for decades.
I agree with you there Alan, i heard stories of old kit being added to both the fires at Donnington in the 80`s.
Old 26-04-16, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Your nose is most welcome, as is that particular badge, certainly not something you see every day, where did you find it?
I found it on the beret Frank
Old 27-04-16, 07:18 AM

LOL, Then I shall re phrase the question, where did you find the beret?
Old 27-04-16, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
LOL, Then I shall re phrase the question, where did you find the beret?
Crikey Frank. He found it attached to the badge...
Old 27-04-16, 07:22 AM

He?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Crikey Frank. He found it attached to the badge...
Old 27-04-16, 07:23 AM

Ebay, I have never fought so hard for an item in my life my brother has my dad's beret and this was the closest I could get to buying one of a similar period. Although I'm pretty sure my dads badge was lugged as I use to wear his beret as a kid and the fixings used were painful, but then he was with the TA through until the 70's so I doubt it was his original badge.