British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-19, 11:38 PM

Default .....annoyed.

....is it just me or has are hobby changed, I have always prided myself with being a man of my word , if I say something I do it and respect others and give the benefit of the doubt that others will do the same.
I was interested in some badges ,which as I expressed a very early interest , the seller contacted me and said I could have first refusal if he decided to sell .We corresponded.
Infact he had a lot of badges so I said I would try to help him with identification , which I did by email and rang as it was easier.
During our conversation a dealer put an offer in and the seller now decided he wished to sell the lot.
I said I was still interested , in reply I am told to think about it over night. So just to confirm I said you won't sell them to anyone else will you ..he replied no.
A few hours later I respond to an email informing me, that the dealer had made another offer on them.
I was under the impression that I would ring as arranged the following day as agreed ! So I sent an email back stating
if I matched the dealers offer would this be ok ?
His response was he had text and rang me, not as arranged ...and he had sold the badges !!! sadly my phone was in the car !!!!!
So the unnamed dealer got the lot....and yes I know
....his badges at the end of the day to do with as he feels fit , but his actions certainly left a bad taste in my mouth........rant over !
Ohhhhwell better luck next time I suppose. ....steve

Last edited by arrestingu; 19-12-19 at 11:43 PM.
Old 20-12-19, 08:18 AM

Name & Shame!
[both parties]
Old 20-12-19, 09:14 AM

Cool Nothing changes

A dealer many years ago asked me to identify and sort the fakes from the originals in a collection which I did to the best of my ability, there was quite a lot of good badges and I said if he bought the collection there was one particular Suffolk Regt badge that I would like to buy for my collection.

A few weeks later I called into see him and he said he had bought them and moved the lot on to another collector/dealer . . !

Rob
Old 20-12-19, 09:40 AM

Such broken promises have happened to all of us. I have broken off friendships and the other parties have no clue why I am no longer in touch.
Old 20-12-19, 09:52 AM

Default .......annoyed

There's only one word to describe these people with NO morals, and it begins with a capital C. regards John
Old 20-12-19, 10:34 AM

If the hobby has changed ( and I am not sure it has ) human nature remains the same. Something similar happened to me about 50 years ago.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-12-19, 11:48 AM

Thats wrong mate. Reminds me of getting shafted by " The Military Gentleman " apparently ex forces too. I find today that a lot of people lack moral fibre, as does the military gentleman.
Andy
Old 20-12-19, 11:51 AM

Default annoyed

I had asimilar experience a few years ago with a medal dealer who had sold a lot of items to me so I was a very good repeat customer and I also thought of him as a friend.He obtained a collection of SAS items to one person - medals,badges etc. He offered them to me, we agreed a price and shook on the deal. I left his house to arrange the payment and while in the car he called me to say he had had a better offer. I matched it and it went to and fro until it reached a point when I realised he was not going to sell to me and that was our frienship over in a flash over 1 deal !
Gone ar the days when a hand shake secured a deal and the deal was honoured. Saying that, I have never experienced a bad deal on this forum and all the members that I have dealt with here are most honourable and generous people..

All the best for 2020 and good hunting..Mark
Old 21-12-19, 09:19 AM

Yes - very annoying. (My rant would have been stronger!)

Chris