British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-09, 07:57 PM

here is the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leic-back.jpg (69.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 28-02-09, 09:49 AM

Hello Paul

Many thanks for letting me know about Luke Halls, I’ll try and contact him to see if he can direct me to some useful postings about sliders. Your own general guidance on this is also of help, and gives me something to go on so thank you. As to the lugged badge that was in South Africa – I was just thinking of the simple explanation, but you’re quite right it could have ended up there for a number of reasons (shame badges don’t come with a potted life history attached!). You’ll be glad to know that I’m getting quite interested in collecting now, especially in the variation of design in these Leicestershire Tigers – in fact I’d go so far as to say I do believe I’m actually hooked!! Anyway, thanks again for your input, always appreciated.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 28-02-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 28-02-09, 09:50 AM

Many thanks indeed for posting up your non-regular Leicestershire badge Signalman. I assume is one for the 4th and 5th Territorial Battalions? It does look rather like the all-brass variant that is in post #26 - this is part of a collection of Leicestershire badges the photographs of which were kindly sent to me recently for reference by the gentleman who owns them.

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance, but why would the slider on yours have been removed and replaced by a pin fixing? Was it to make it into a lapel badge or some kind of sweetheart brooch? It certainly looks like a nice badge, and it’s good to be able to see the back as well; complete with sweat/braze holes – I’m grateful to you for sharing this with me and the Forum.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 28-02-09 at 06:42 PM.
Old 28-02-09, 04:04 PM

hello martin.yes its a nice old badge and with the slider removed as you rightly say it is possible to view the back.i would suspect that you are correct on both observations re battalion and prob a sweet heart.i have owned this since 1974 and it came direct from a relative of the wearer.im with you the leicesters is a grand badge in all its varients.regards.phil.
Old 10-03-09, 05:46 PM

Been a while since I've bought any badges but felt inspired after all our Leicestershire talk when I saw this badge. No reverse picture available from the eBay seller so I knew It could be a 50-50 gamble. I was disapointed when I found no sweat holes, but think the 'spine' on the slider interesting. Strong badge but slider a little springy. Any thoughts? Also bought a R Berks. Lambourne from another seller. Cheers, Paul.
Leicestershire Berkshire 001.jpg

Leicestershire Berkshire 022.jpg
Old 10-03-09, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Been a while since I've bought any badges but felt inspired after all our Leicestershire talk when I saw this badge. No reverse picture available from the eBay seller so I knew It could be a 50-50 gamble. I was disapointed when I found no sweat holes, but think the 'spine' on the slider interesting. Strong badge but slider a little springy. Any thoughts? Also bought a R Berks. Lambourne from another seller. Cheers, Paul.
Attachment 12663

Attachment 12664
Looks to be a fine badge to me. Occaisionally one sees sliders like that and I have always thought they were just the end or edge of a batch metal during the process of making sliders. Anyway, I have noticed that these older badges without sweat holes almost always have some visible brazing spill or slop at some point around the edges of the applied part.

CB
Old 10-03-09, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Attachment 12663

Attachment 12664
Hi Paul,

I steer clear of sliders like that in generally in metal badges (my personal collecting choice)... I do have a few staybrites with, for want of a better description 'corsely cut' sliders which I'm happy are genuine. Maybe suggeting they're OK on the later badges? But to be perfectly honest I'm not sure and that's just a half educated guess.

Not sure of your one as I don't collect Territorial Bn badges, the rear stamp detail of the tiger possibly looks not quite as sharp as I'd go for.. as for lack of baze holes might not be a problem depending when the Bn went on 'till. I'm sure someone with knowlege on such units badges will be able to give a yes or no on it.

Cheers,

Luke

and like CB says I'm sure sometimes with sliders as with lugs and reinforcing they used what they had lying around and left over.
Old 10-03-09, 10:56 PM

Think someone has found it was about 1917ish when they started using standard badges.
Old 03-04-10, 08:25 PM

Default Tabbed-on Top Scrolled Leicesters

Hello Paul

I’ve been meaning to post up the below badge for some time, as a comparison with the one you bought, but as I’ve said elsewhere personal circumstances have meant I haven’t been able to spend much time on the Forum for a while now. Anyway, as you’ll see this is the same style/design of tiger as yours (indicating the same manufacturer), and it also has a similar ‘coarsely cut’ slider (to quote Luke); though without the ‘spine’ on the slider as in your example. Mine also has the top ‘Hindoostan’ scroll, which is only tabbed-on to the badge (Chris posted an identical one in post #20 of this thread).

I have seen quite a few badges exactly like yours for sale, all described as territorials’ badges, though I haven’t bought any myself as I am a little suspicious it may be the case that they have merely lost their tabbed-on top scrolls? I’m still trying to learn about slider shapes, etc., but I think Luke may be on to something when he talks about these ‘coarsely cut’ sliders being later, and I personally have the feeling that they are probably later than the 1917 date for when the territorials began using the same version as the regulars with the ‘Hindoostan’ top scroll - just my own thoughts on things that’s all.

You may be interested in looking at this posting I’ve made of what I think could be the earliest kind of territorial badge for the Leicesters. Ironically I know this one did originally have the top scroll, but I believe this could have been removed by the makers to fulfil an order for badges specifically to be used in Brodrick caps – at least that’s my theory!

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 05-04-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 05:39 PM

Hello Martin. I think you are fast becoming a Leicestershire 'expert'. You know more than me on your subject! This badge looks fine,just a badly placed scroll.
The TF badge caused doubt due to the Gaunt 'Birmingham' tablet. Have you been able to do any research on such 'Birmingham' tablets? Apart from that yours looks good to me. Unable to make out if it has sweat holes. Best regards, Paul.
Old 05-04-10, 09:51 AM

Default Leicesters Expert!!

Hi Paul

I certainly wouldn’t call myself an ‘expert’, as I think I have a long way to go before I could even be remotely thought of as that! Though since beginning collecting I have spent a fair few hours looking at my badges, comparing them with each other and with photographs of Leicesters badges that other collectors have kindly shared with me. By now I think I’m getting quite good at spotting the minutia of detail in them, which in turn is allowing me to arrange them into all the different variations in design there are. Whilst I only have a handful of badges with markers’ marks, those that I have seen belonging to others have enabled me to distinguish the badges of at least two manufacturers other than Gaunts – namely Ludski/Ludlow and Bent & Parker. I think I’m also getting a feeling for the chronology of the different badges, but what I really need to do is take a leaf out of Julian’s book and start going through the various surviving archives. Unfortunately living at the end of the world (well right over on the west coast of Wales!), means it would take quite an effort to visit the relevant repositories across the border in Birmingham and London, and at the moment I’m not in a position to do this. Nevertheless, I will still continue to look for more Leicesters badges, as I believe the more versions I can get the better idea I will have of who made them and when. By the way, I’ve replied to your specific comments on the longer slidered territorials badge on that thread.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. Yes you’re right that the top ‘Hindoostan’ scroll on the above regulars badge has been badly applied – seems to have slipped down at the back a bit when it was being put on. Interestingly Chris’ badge in post #20 looks to have also been effected in the same way.

Old 05-04-10, 11:35 AM

Hi all,
Have read thread found it very interesting, having looked at all the photos posted ,I would like to post my badge for consideration.
It doesn't match any of them,
However the rear IMO matches the all GM economy badges, just a thought and I am waiting to be shot down in flames, could this be an economy badge used later after the war from stock with WM overlays applied?
Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1214_05-04-10.jpg (87.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1214[01]_05-04-10.jpg (90.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-04-10, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Very unlikely especially as the all g/m ones had a solid tail.

Alan
Old 05-04-10, 11:57 AM

Alan ,
Good point did'nt notice solid tail, knew I'd crash and burn!
Thanks Tony.
Old 05-04-10, 12:24 PM

Well Martin, I'm impressed with the study you have put in to your Leicestershire badges in a short time, so credit where it is due. Cheers, Paul.

Tags
great war, leicestershire regiment