British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-11, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

The latest copy of the Wire magazine has them down as 40 Sig Sqn so that is what the regt are calling them.
Old 02-11-11, 09:57 AM

Default 40 Sig Sqn

Dear Alan

Many thanks. Have not seen the latest Wire yet but I am sure that is what I will use. Will probably add something in the write up about the old school still wanting the name 69 Sig Sqn.

Many thanks

Chris
Old 02-11-11, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

It is 40 (North Irish Horse) Sig Sqn to be precise.
Old 02-11-11, 04:39 PM

Default 40 (NIH) Sig Sqn (V) or 69 (NIH) Sig Sqn

Dear Alan and others.

I am now in even more of a pickle.

Alan kindly advised my that in the latest issue of the Wire magazine the name of the Squadron is 40 (NIH) Sig Sqn (V) Not seen October 2011 yet.

I have just looked at the last two Wire magazine that are available to down load on the web and guess what. I am none the wiser !!!!!!

The Wire June 2011 edition under the 32 Signal Regiment (V) on page 54 give the following name of the Squadron

40 (NIH) Sig Sqn (V)
OC Maj S Burgess
SSM WO2 G Campbell

The Wire Aug 2011 edition under 32 Signal Regiment (V) on page 49 gives the following name of the Squadron

69 (NIH) Signal Squadron (V)

OC Maj S Burgess
SSM WO2 G Campbell

Now come on Alan or some body. Where on earth do I go from here.

Our own Corps magazine is still giving two names of the Squadron!!!!!!

I am now still none the wiser or if any thing in even a bigger quandry as to what I do my write up as.

As I was always told to believe. Take no notice of what you are told and only 50% of what you read.

Help please.

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 03-11-11, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

I can only say that latest edition has 40 NIH. Why not write directly to the OC Sqn?
Old 03-11-11, 11:35 AM

Default 40 Sig Sqn or 69 Sig Sqn

Good idea Alan, I might just do that.

Chris
Old 07-11-11, 11:57 AM

Default 40 (NIH) Sig Sqn (V) or 69 (NIH) Sig Sqn

Dear Alan O and all.

I have just put the telephone down having spoken to a Captain Henry Royal Signals 69 (NIH) Signal Squadron (V) to request the name of his Squadron.

This is the main part of his reply.

" Officially in MOD land the name of the Squadron is 69 (NIH) Signal Squadron (V) with three Troops namely 985, 886 and 840 Signal Troops.

The Brigadier in charge of 2 Signal Bde has requested that the Squadron be called 40 (NIH) Signal Squadron (V) as part of 32 Signal Regiment (V) in recognition of 40 (Ulster) Signal Regiment that no longer exists as we know. Although this request has been acted apon by the parent Regiment it has in no way been ratified by the MOD. Hence the official MOD Speak name for the Squadron remains 69 (NIH) Sig Sqn (V) and this is what the unit calls itself in Norther Island according to a serving Officer of the Squadron."

I feel I can now complete a write up for the Squadron as 69 (NIH) as a heading but add the name request change of the current GOC 2 Signal Bde.

Any other comments would be most welcome.

Kind regards
Chris Walker
www.signalsbadfges.co.uk
Old 07-11-11, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Only that he is not a GOC (2*general) but a Brigade Commander (1* general in NATO speak).
Old 14-11-11, 05:20 PM

Sorry, been offline for a wee while with work and internet problems.
The Sqn haven't wore the Forage Cap for a long time. They still have them, but they have been told they have to wear the caubean in no.2's.

Heres some pictures from Remembrance Sunday last year.

Hope there ok for you Chris. You can see the collar dogs and a bit of the rank badge in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CNV00034.jpg (38.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg CNV00017.jpg (43.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 15-11-11, 10:00 AM

Default 69 (NIH) Sig Sqn V

Dear Blackie

Very many thanks for the photos. With your permision I will certainly use one of them when I put the badge on my little web site. Well worth waiting for.

Very many thanks

Chris
Old 15-11-11, 07:13 PM

There yours to use, no problems. I look forward to seeing the updated website.

If I hear anything about the name of the Sqn, I'll update you. The last I heard they were waiting for the Review of the TA to finish. That finished a couple of months ago. So it may be June next year before they choode the Number of the sqn.

Again sorry about the wait.
Old 15-11-11, 08:21 PM

Chris,

Just to draw out as well from these pictures, you'll note the NIH arm badge worn as well in these pictures. These were brought back into service with the old, Limavady based, 69 Sqn a few years ago. I was fortunate enough to get hold of my example at that time.

Mike
Old 15-11-11, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretani View Post
Chris,

Just to draw out as well from these pictures, you'll note the NIH arm badge worn as well in these pictures. These were brought back into service with the old, Limavady based, 69 Sqn a few years ago. I was fortunate enough to get hold of my example off him at that time.

Mike
Thank you Pretani, I did notice that. What is the material of construction of this latest incarnation?

John
Old 15-11-11, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Thank you Pretani, I did notice that. What is the material of construction of this latest incarnation?

John
Some form of cast white metal. When I can find it I will post an image of mine, the collar badges that came with it are white metal. Also included the red on green Maple Leaf honour badge.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 16-11-11, 11:46 AM

The squadron also wear the Royal Corp of Signal stable belt with the North Irish Horse buckle, will see if I can I picture of the belt for the weekend.

Also still wear the small silver mable leaf on their No'2s and Mess dress, which is hard to see in photos.

Does anyone know does B Sqn (North Irish Horse) Queens Own Yeomanry, still wear the NIH rank badge and maple leaf on their No'2s and Mess dress?